jenny's belly

Friday, July 29, 2005

Daily Appointments

My family and I met with my surgeon yesterday afternoon. I wasn't sure what to expect after speaking with her on the phone earlier this week: "Well, we're thinking we'll remove half of your stomach and half of your esophagus and attach them in your neck instead of your chest, so that would mean three openings, one in your abdomen, one in your chest and one in your neck..." And there was some talk of "quality of life" which is never taken as good news.

But the meeting with her in person was actually helpful. (I've meet with her before but not since learning about the cancer.) She described how the cancer is on the inside of my stomach and therefore likely did not arrive there from somewhere else in my body. She also said there isn't a "mass" of cancer but rather a thickening of the stomach wall and a narrowing of the esophagus. I believe I have lots of pre-cancerous cells and likely only a bit of actual cancer.

She believes I've had this for awhile. Possibly a year.

But here was my favorite part: "So Dr. Thompson took a sample from your small intestine... oh, did you know you have Celiac disease?" Having been through some culinary classes at Johnson & Wales I know that's intolerance to gluten (basically found in bread, pasta, etc) I have never had trouble with these things, but *have* had stomach pains when drinking alcohol, so that makes a bit of sense.

The point my surgeon was making, is that Dr. Thompson, who performed the endoscopy, took a sample of my small intestine because he was looking for the bacteria which causes ulcers, and as he spun the scope around and could see the upper wall of my stomach he thought, hm, that's strange...

And so along with my 123980 coincidences for this cancer to be found, add number 123981. No one is looking for cancer. Even the pathologist who reviewed the biopsy thought something was wrong and contacted Dr. Thompson: "What am I looking at?"

I'm to have another endoscopy with Dr. Thompson next tuesday. I've insisted on being knocked out this time, so I have to go BACK to Brigham today to do the pre-op since anesthesia will be involved.

Monday afternoon I have an appointment with an amazing surgeon. I was thinking it was going to be a second opinion but found out from Dr. Vernon yesterday that this other surgeon, Dr. Osteen, has been involved with my case already.

It will be nice to meet him and get some additional information anyway.

I asked my surgeon how often cancer like mine is found at this stage. She shook her head- it doesn't happen. My cancer was found by chance after fluke after coincidence.

I may have cancer, but I'm unbelievably, extremely lucky to know it now and not 10 years from now.

1 comment(s):

Wow, what an amazing story of coincidences, Jen. And what an amazing array of doctors who actually persist and ask questions. You're lucky in this respect, believe it or not.

Regarding gluten intolerance, you may want to check out the patient bulletin board at www.braintalk.org . It's mostly a neurological site, but it has a very active forum on Gluten sensitivity, b/c this can cause neurological issues. If you scroll down, you'll find the Gluten forum in the alphabetical list of specific conditions.

Thinking of you,
W.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/01/2005 1:33 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home