jenny's belly

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

11-hour nap

I can't believe I took a nap at 3:00pm yesterday and woke up after 1:00am.

I had pre-op *again* yesterday morning, but each of the three times I've gone this past month have been easier. It was a great hobby, but I really think that's the last time I'll have to go. (Incidentally, did you ever notice every channel has "real life surgery" after midnight? I've turned off three so far.)

The sleepy-time machine is lovely. I actually don't mind the mask THAT much. I think compared to the childhood evil of Vick's vapo-rub and accompanying scratchy washcloth, this one is not as bad. I have trouble sleeping with it for long periods of time, however. I can hear myself inhale and exhale which is annoying, and it takes literally five minutes to learn how to wear and breathe with the machine running... but it will be okay eventually.

I called my surgeon's office before my nap, assuming Dr. Osteen would want to see me this week. He has reviewed my endoscopic ultrasound results and "is planning to move forward just as he described last week". Sooooooo he doesn't need to see me, and there is no change, and I can say my operation now. I'm not sure if I can spell it though. Ready? Esophagogastrectomy. Holy crap that's ugly.

My surgeon is going to go into my abdomen and decide by look and feel just what he needs to take out. I know he doesn't want to take any part of my esophagus, but if it's pre-cancerous it's GONE.

I love all the positive feedback I've been getting, but I still have to prepare for a rough surgical procedure. I have to remember that by this time next week I'll not only be long out of the O.R., but I'll have taken a few turns down the hallway. I'm fully aware they're going to pressure me to walk only a few hours after completing surgery and I'm going to try not to punch any nurses who will make me get out of bed.

:)

Other things on TV at 2am...
* A live jewelry auction with NO bids and an increasingly insulting auctioneer "Come on people, it's not that hard."
* A 10-piece knife collection on home shopping network. These are the craziest knives I've ever seen. What are "finger holes"? Why is one of these knives called "The Undertaker Warrior"?
* A florist in a pretty blue dress collecting hippo poo. A baboon eating... OK, what in GOD'S NAME IS THIS SHOW?!!?!? I think the Animal Planet is actually showing some sort of "dung" program.
* Poker
* More Poker
* A woman having a 140 lb tumor removed from her back
* A skincare infomercial

Okay, I guess it's time to go back to bed!

2 comment(s):

Esophagogastrectomy. I think that's doctor-speak for "I can buy that new boat now."

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/09/2005 2:27 AM  

Linda, I'm still recovering from my ride home. I slept most of Monday and was up late. It'll probably be a week before I sleep normally. After every 'vacation' I have to get back into a regular schedule. But the CPAP really does help.

Jen, I think I've seen that woman's tumor removed about five times, and I'm still amazed at how she recovered! It's incredible the thing got bigger than she was before she could find anybody to help her! Oh yeah, check out 'Impact! Stories of Survival.' It's like an hour of Agony of Defeat. And there seems to be no limit to the stupid things people do. Reminds me of a story Susan told about a seminar she went to given by a neurosurgeon who practiced in the south. He said most of his brain injury cases started out with the soon-to-be-patient yellin' "Hey, y'all! Watch this!"

If you have digital cable, check out the OnDemand stuff. You could watch episodes of Oz for six hours and get scared straight. You'll never 'forget' to pay a parking ticket again.

If'n yer gonna keep on watchin' shoppin' shows, put your credit cards in the freezer. Otherwise you'll soon be overwhelmed by the boxes of abdomenizers and rotisserie chicken cookers and see through vacuum cleaners (whose idea was that? who really wants to see that stuff?) that'll be crowding you out of house and home.Of course, all those deliveries might help you become better acquainted with the UPS man. Or as my nephews refer to him, the present guy.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/09/2005 2:17 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home