jenny's belly

Friday, August 12, 2005

Taking the Helm

My best friend Lisa has agreed to update this page while I'm having plastic surgery or whatever it is I'm really having done on monday (because it can't actually be cancer, right?).

She will be in regular contact with my parents and will be able to let all of you know what's going on. She just started a new job so I don't think this will be a play-by-play of the surgery, but I trust her to update when she thinks its necessary. She has a doctorate degree, you know. :) I call her Dr. Crazy, but that's me.

I'm actually feeling more calm now as the surgery day approaches. Maybe it's just out-right denial. Maybe it's one of those cool things where your brain shuts off. I have become a professional sleeper, which is very, very good. I practice my deep breathing when I can and I'm reading the silly though useful and often-recommended "Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster" book (without the cd/tape... now I wish I had gotten it though! arrghghg!).

I can't say "I'M READY!" but I'm willing to say "Let's get this overwith."

Tony Snow, a TV journalist who has nearly beat colon cancer diagnosed in February, said the worst part was waiting for the surgery. After surgery you can be actively involved in your healing and recovery. Before surgery you feel worry and panic and sometimes even helpless.

It's good to know what I'm feeling is really normal.

4 comment(s):

I'm glad you explained how to respond in the blog, but a lot of your relatives are still walking around saying, "What's a blogger?"
Thanks, Lisa, for being willing to keep everyone updated as Jen 'just says yes'to drugs! Can't wait for next week to hear about those dreams!!
See you later today, Jen, when we hit the beach! Love you, Aunt El

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/12/2005 8:06 AM  

I KNEW IT! Extreme Makeover surgery in Boston!! Just kidding -On a serious note, I hope that your calmness lasts through the weekend. And I think you should go for it today at the beach and work on an 'all over tan' (wink wink!) That will shock your surgeons!! Lots of love to you.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/12/2005 2:58 PM  

Jen, I am a friend of Karen Conroy's and just read about your diagnosis. I obviously checked out this blogger thing too, knowing nothing about it. What a name for a chat room! LOL!
Anyway, you have the most fabulous outlook and I can't believe how much your comical way of putting things made me smile at such a trying time in your life. I will say prayers that your faith, your love of life, your wisdom, courage, family and friends, and your heart will get you through to the better times ahead. I am just positive that your friends and family are honored to have you in thier lives... Go kick some serious butt out of this cancer Jen... I wait for good news soon!!!

Sincerely,
Cindy Gurney

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/12/2005 3:01 PM  

beach? did I hear someone say beach? Is Dr Crazy ready for your extended family? Right up her alley if you ask me. maybe we can be a clinical trial or research? Go for it Lisa! and jen--
get er done!!
PS A real beach??

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/12/2005 5:00 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home