jenny's belly

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I heart nutritionists

I am so exited about this… I met with a nutritionist at dana farber today and she has actually dealt with other people who have had my surgery AND she understands exactly what my stomach problems are. BECAUSE--everyone else has these same week-long periods when they “can’t eat”!!

It’s a miracle to know its not just me. You have no idea... its like being told you're not the only human being on earth!!!

Even better is that she has a potential solution—she thinks that the surgery/chemo/stress caused the good bacteria in my stomach to get wrecked by the bad bacteria, and each time I eat its like the fermentation process is happening in my stomach… so if I take this pill (like super-yogurt) it will balance out the bacteria back to how it SHOULD be and she thinks make things much, much better. I am THRILLED!!!! She said there's no way I could possibly eat enough yogurt to balance it out so this pill gives me a leg up. The reason I will actually try this is because its not a "rest of my life" pill, and I can do anything for a few weeks.

Yay!! I'm looking forward to eating again :)

3 comment(s):

Hey Jen -

First off, you look GREAT! Tired, sure, but fabulous. And you wear that scar like the badge of honor it is! Now, when people are casually comparing scars ("Oh, that's where I was bitten by a dog when I was five," "Oh, yeah? Check this out...cement stairs when I was two."), you will shut them down in no time. :-)

Secondly, that's GREAT news about your meeting with the nutritionist! Let's hear it for super-yogurt pills and B-12 shots!!! :-)

~ Lis

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/20/2008 3:19 PM  

i hope you get over this phase soon.

By Blogger Poorna Banerjee, at 2/21/2008 2:26 AM  

Hello!
I commented on your blog one time before with the story about my husband, Hans, and his stomach cancer journey.

Anywho...

The probiotics really really help Hans. He takes a brand called PB-8 that we settled on after trying a few others. Another thing that he started recently (recommended from our nutrionist!) is taking those Fiber chew things.

And he's had even less problems since that! We are always excited to find things that work for him. Always nice to have light at the end of the tunnel!

We recently got back from MD Anderson for Hans' checkup and were excited to be told 'no evidence of disease' after 2.5 years!

Take care....your scar is lovely,
Amy
amy@amyrue.com
erf, blogger isn't letting me sign in to my account...so I have to use Hans'. computers like him more!

By Blogger Hans Rueffert, at 2/27/2008 12:20 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home