jenny's belly

Monday, November 26, 2007

Been awhile

Hey there-
Thanks for checking in on me. Its been a year since my last post, and as you know, no news is good news. Actually I'm doing okay. Chemobrain is gone, but then so are a lot of memories. I've learned to be patient about it though, because there just isn't much I can do about it.
I approach bald women now, which I would have been afraid to do before. Not all of them, of course, because some wear a 'stay away from me' sign, but I'mespecially talkative with the ones I see at work. I don't even know how I start the conversation, I just do... the last time a woman was nearly crying within a few minutes of talking to me because she's exhausted and everyone is treating her like she's invisible. I told her its because no one knows what to say or do. People panic.
Anyway, I had some back pain recently which lead to a series of MRIs. There's something on my back (unrelated to the pain) that my doctors can't figure out. I'm waiting for results on the 3rd MRI but sort of think everything is okay. I mean, I think if it was cancer it would be obvious. This... well, this they can't figure. But otherwise I'm doing well. Gainfully employed. And except for the ever-present "livestrong" bracelet, I'll bet people never suspect a thing...

2 comment(s):

Dear Jenny,
I'm very glad to see a post from you and to read that life is going well.

I found your blog several months ago while looking for other survivors of stomach cancer.

My husband, Hans, was diagnosed with stomach cancer on July 12th, 2005, the day before his 33rd birthday. He was stage 3, if one more lymph node would have been affected, he would have been stage 4...we were very close.

Hans and I also try to reach out to people now with comfort and hope. He's signed up with a program through MD Anderson Hospital where they put him in contact with new patients to tell his story.

I hope that life continues to treat you well!
Stay strong!
Amy
amy at amyrue.com

By Blogger amy rue, at 11/27/2007 1:41 PM  

Hey Jen,

Thanks so much for keeping us all posted. I can attest first-hand that no one who didn't know what you've been through would suspect anything. At our high school reunion on Friday (I won't share the year), everyone I talked to said, "Jen looks exactly the same!" If they only knew.

I'm sure that it means so much to everyone you talk to you that you're reaching out and letting them know you understand what they're going through. You're really an inspiration to all of us, as well as the "strangers" you share your story with.

Please keep us posted...

Lis

p.s. Amy, my best thoughts and wishes are with you and your husband.

By Blogger Lisa, at 11/27/2007 2:16 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home