jenny's belly

Monday, August 07, 2006

Needham!

I had a CT scan last week and the results came back today-- everything okay. Nothing changed, not even Fabian (the annoying enlarged lymph node). I am amemic, though. And worse, dehydrated.
I've been making really bad decisions lately, and been EXHAUSTED which should have been obvious things, but they weren't. I've had awful cramping and reflux and NEVER using the bathroom... I went to my gastroenterologist on friday and she said "think of your body like the big dig: one thing shuts down and the whole thing follows." LOVELY.
Anyway, so she said it was dehydtration- I went to my oncologist today and asked for fluids- I got 2 bags, which takes about an hour each, though they spread it out today, and I have no desire to use the restroom. I was even drinking while I was there. Yup. Dehydrated.
Oh, you want to hear about my bad decisions, don't you. FINE. So today, I got on the shuttle bus to the wrong hospital. And last week, I got on the wrong train. Easy mistake, maybe. But it goes like this.
You're waiting for the Stoughton train.
The conductor says "Needham!" and your brain says, "That's your train!"
I was on the train about 5 minute and would have ended up in Needham had the conductor not said "This is not the Stoughton train."
Slowly my brain says, "Wait, that's the train we want to be on. This must not be our train..."
Stupid brain!
My oncologist, who cleared me to go back to work full time--in writing--was genuinely surprised that I'm back to work full time. "So, you worked 3 months part time, right?" "Ah, no, it was a month." I told him I'm really, really tired, and he said "Well, yes, you're working full time." ARRGHGHGH.
I saw my chemotherapy nurse, who has been out on maternity leave though, and it was great to talk to her. She said the effects of chemo hit your body six months to a year after the last treatment. A-HA! So that definitely explains some of my mistakes. I'm better and better all the time, but still expect myself to be 100% (I know, I've been saying this for months!)
Anyway, I think I'm conducting myself well at work. I seem to save my big mistakes for non-work things, which I suppose is a good thing. But if you get a random call from New Jersey from me asking for a ride, you'll know something went haywire again. :)

6 comment(s):

I don't understand what the problem is. Needham DOES sound a bit like Stoughton...(smile!!) If they would only color-code the trains (Needham - blue, Stoughton - yellow) instead of them all being the same color (purple) then no mix-ups would occur. Feel free to suggest that to the conductor.

And if you end up on the Amtrak train to Newark, give me a call. Alexander & I will come down to pick you up!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/08/2006 9:30 AM  

Apparently the after effects of chemo can last like 13 years, 'cause I recently got on an Ashmont Red Line train instead of a Braintree one. (For those who know the respective lines, you realize just how much I was taking my life into my own hands.)

Good to hear the CAT Scan went well, though. ...and thanks for the Jennews update!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/08/2006 2:42 PM  

See, I can understand accidentally getting on the wrong train. Its the fact that I HEARD the wrong train and thought THAT'S THE ONE! Also two weeks ago I took the wrong shuttle away from the hospital and ended up in Brookline where the driver got out of the bus and left me there for 10 minutes all by myself. Sigh...

By Blogger Jen, at 8/08/2006 8:24 PM  

Glad to hear an update as well Jen! And while getting on the wrong train must be frustrating, at least the CAT scan went well. . . (Marriage, three kids, and I STILL wear my rose-colored glasses!) I am also glad to hear that you survived the Ashmont line Dan. I commuted in and out of Northeastern and all over the city for nursing clinicals. While the red line was my overall favorite, that is NOT a mistake I would like to make. . .

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/09/2006 9:44 AM  

Well, I have no excuses, I just somehow posted my comments before completing or checking them! Oops! If you ever end up north of the city Jen the kids and I can try to come rescue you. We are getting quite brave at navigating our way around and they LOVE the "new" bridge. Have a wonderful week! Thinking of you. Kelly

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/09/2006 9:48 AM  

Instead of 'Where in the world is Matt Laurer?', there should be 'Where in the world is Jen?' Just quit your job, get on misc. trains, planes, and in automobiles and see America. When you get to Seattle, Lisa (aka Dr. Crazy) can set you up with new doctors. Come on...I double-dare you...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/09/2006 3:15 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home