jenny's belly

Friday, July 07, 2006

Bad Idea

I had my port-a-cath flushed yesterday, which you have to do monthly if you're not getting treatment or blood tests. I've had this thing accessed a billion times. Its a double port implanted just below the skin of my left shoulder. You can easily get blood or give meds through this port and get it right into a vein without having to jab my arm. So basically its a good thing, except I don't need it anymore (yay!). I have to wait until after my next CT scan (last week of July) and then if all goes well I can schedule an appointment to have it taken out.
But as I was saying, I had it flushed yesterday, where they put a needle into each of the two ports, push saline and something else (heparin?) through it to clean out the tubing, and then I'm good to go.
I got this genius idea that I wouldn't have the nurse use the numbing spray. I've always, always used the numbing spray. The thing is, they switched to a new company and the numbing spray literally freezes the skin. And it kind of hurts. So I thought, its going to hurt either way, I might as well not use the spray. HOLY SHIT. That was a really, really bad idea. Ever watch someone stab you in the chest and feel like someone's stabbing you in the chest? I'm obviously a big baby, but we are talking all the layers of skin, I don't know why I didn't think it would hurt when she put a needle in me. I watched in horror when the first one went in. Oh, mistake! I've made a mistake! And then the second needle. OW!!!!!
And then it hurt when I was walking so I put my hand over it until I realized I must look like a complete freak (look, she's pledging allegiance to the flag). Its fine now, a day later, but I can promise you one thing, I'll never make that mistake again!

5 comment(s):

There is numbing spray?!?!?1 I was never told this!!! Of course I hear about it after mine is removed. Believe me, I know how bad it hurts. lolol Hopefully your scan will go well and you can have it removed.

Has the heparin ever made you nautious? The saline never bothered me but I could always taste the heparin. So nasty. *shivers*

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/09/2006 11:26 PM  

I pledge allegance to the flag of the United States of America...

Sorry you had such a bad experience, but glad you learned your lesson - TAKE THE DRUGS AND/OR ANY HELP THAT IS OFFERRED!

Hope you feel better today and enjoy the day. Love, D.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/10/2006 9:10 AM  

Either you're an excellent writer or I'm a total wuss (I think we'd both prefer to assume the former) but I was crawling out of my skin reading that. :-)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/10/2006 9:19 AM  

There is numbing spray which is supposed to make it all better, and usually does, but the needle is... like the tip of a ball-point pen. Its HUGE!
And Dan, you're just remembering the joy, that's why you're freaking out.
Also, I'm a wicked good writa. hehehe

By Blogger Jen, at 7/10/2006 4:21 PM  

As a nurse, Jen, Owwwwwwww. . .

Please, use the numbing spray next time. I am glad to hear/read that you are feeling so much better. Belated congratulations to Jeff as well. Sorry I haven't been keeping up; with the kids out of school, I seem to have less time. . .

Have a great week! Love, Kelly

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/11/2006 10:36 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home