jenny's belly

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Jennews

I had my final personal training appointment yesterday. It seems I'm doing pretty well, since he increased the weight on everything (oh god, 12 pound free weights!!). Anyway, I can tell I'm getting stronger just by doing everyday things. Unloading the dishwasher isn't the incredible feat of strength it used to be, and I can open most jars without parental assistance.

I still can't get over needing naps. I really tried not to take one today but fell asleep anyway. Same thing yesterday. At least I don't think I LOOK tired like I did a few months ago. I mean, if I don't take my nap I look tired, but there was a time when I was tired 24/7 and always looked like hell.

I really don't have any huge updates because my days are pretty much the same: wake up, have bowl of cereal, go to the gym, return from gym, have lunch, take nap, have dinner, watch tv, go to bed.

I've got an endoscopy (tube down throat) and a colonoscopy (obvious) next week. It should be lovely. :) They're going to take a billion biopsies to see if things are healing well and to make sure there's nothing a'brewin'. The following week I see my doctor and should be cleared to return to work June 9.

7 comment(s):

Hi Jen!

(Not sure why I went for the exclamation point. It just seemed cheery - though it could also be read as 'watch out!!' or maybe as if I thought you were hard of hearing. "I SAID, HI, JEN!")

Anyway, it's great to see that you're doing better and better. Was I right, is it like wicked fun getting better or what?

Ain't life great atop Sugar Mountain? ...man, that song gets me pumped up!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/24/2006 9:09 AM  

Jen, what great news! I know you're feeling like you're still trying to get your energy back, but if'n you got just a little extra, can you send it my way? I just started a new pain management regimen and it seems like everything I take makes me drowsy. And if something doesn't make me drowsy on its own, it increases the drowsiness effect of the other stuff. So I'm still watching a lot of late night tv. Last night I almost bought a Sweepnmop!

I slept for nearly a day and a half after driving back from A.Betty's service. I'm sorry I missed you. We probably passed each other at the rotary!

I am so jealous that you're getting ready to get back to work. I think it'll probably be kinda tough on you physically and emotionally, but you've proven you've got what it takes to conquer this next challenge. You have truly been, and continue to be, an inspiration to your family and friends, and I'll bet your coworkers feel the same way.

Hey, maybe you'll get a nice chocolate cake on your welcome back to work day!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/25/2006 2:51 AM  

Thank you for the nice comments, Barb,and I'm sorry I missed you at the wake--I can't believe you and Marsha drove!
I'm a nervous wreck about returning to work and try not to think of it. I hope if they do give me a return to work cake (yeah right) it's a yellow one. Chocolate doens't taste good anymore. No idea why!

By Blogger Jen, at 5/25/2006 12:43 PM  

Wow, Jen. I've been a little out of the loop lately, but it sounds like you are doing great. I am so happy to hear about all of your progress. Don't be surprised if you start to feel anxious about going back to work. It sounds like your work has been pretty good to you so far, and I'm sure they won't expect you to be going at 190% so make sure you don't over-do it. Take care.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/25/2006 5:10 PM  

Lisa's got the right idea - pace yourself. When you start giving yourself the guilt trip because you think you're slacking, remember you have to have enough energy to get through the rest of the day, and STILL have enough juice to get home. It's kind of like going for a long walk. In my case, it was a long bike ride. I rode so far out that I didn't have the energy to ride home and had to call for a ride. You'll need to learn your limits. But the only person who matters is YOU. Do what's best for Jen, physically and emotionally. Don't let what others might think or say influence your actions. It's your judgement that counts. You are the one who will reap the rewards, but also the one who'll end up in bed if you push too hard. I suspect you know that already, especially after going through PT. It takes a lot of fortitude to go to a gym when you can barely lift a barbell with no weights on it. And you've gone above and beyond that challenge. I wish I still lived in the area. I could use you as a workout buddy!

PS I like yellow cake too. But my favorite is devil's food with chocolate frosting. All homemade of course!

By Blogger BKW, at 5/25/2006 9:48 PM  

Glad to hear that you continue to make progress Jen and thank you for always keeping us informed. I can only imagine some of your anxiety returning to work but I know you will rise to the challenge. Just don't overdo it! Yes, some people will be uncomfortable and might not know what to say but on the whole, I think people will be happy to see you back and welcome you. I like the cake idea, too. . . I personally love white cake with white frosting. . . .But, I digress.

Glad to hear that things continue to go well. We continue to think of you and your family everyday.

~Kelly

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/26/2006 12:13 AM  

I like carrot cake with cream cheese frosting...Glad to read that you are doing OK. We are all blessed that you are here with us! Suggestion for the 1st week: call your boss in advance and see if you can work 1/2 days. They should understand that you need to pace yourself at the beginning. And if it would help, talk to your doctor about a note. They would probably be happy to give you one.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/30/2006 2:34 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home