jenny's belly

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Survivor

I'm actually at the Park Plaza hotel now, nearing the end of the "Survivors Weekend". We're at tower level with free internet access, etc so I thought I'd take a moment to let you know that though I was nervous about coming I had a lot of fun. Its really amazing that we all feel the same way-- ignored. For most of us, this weekend was the first time we'd met someone our age (30-40 year olds). I ate dinner across from a Dana Farber doctor (guest speaker tomorrow) who said that we're about 8% of the population with cancer. 15% is juvenille, 70% is over 65. We're the lost generation.
This is supposed to be the kick off weekend for a greater presence at Dana Farber. We shouldn't be ignored as much, and though we're not getting our own waiting room any time soon, at least they're trying to put together support groups and working groups, etc etc.
We shared our cancer stories today and it was quite emotional. Yesterday was all about without/before cancer, and today was all about CANCER. We joked tonight about cancer "flare-ups" and getting things we want by playing the cancer card. Chemobrain and being unable to read. And get this... Most women were TOLD their periods would stop. I seemed to be the only one in the room who didn't get the memo as it was a shock to me. Too graphic for some of you? Sorry. :) We did a lot of sharing.
Anyway the group is back so I'm off to join. The cruise sets off tomorrow and I hope you all have a wonderful week. I will check back in next monday.
Cheers!

2 comment(s):

Hi Jen!
I am so glad you went to the Survivor's Meeting!!!!
Coming together with other people who are sharing the same experiences is VERY powerful. Isn't it interesting that total strangers know exactly what you're talking about?!
I hope you and Donna are now having a WONDERFUL time on your cruise!!!!!!

Love, Jeanne (Dr. Crazy's Mom)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/02/2006 5:13 PM  

Darn!

I came to the comments page all set to make a "I never had a single period during chemotherapy" joke but Lisa beat me to the punch!

Oh well, you win this round, Lisa....

I hope you are having a wonderful cruise, Jen!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/04/2006 10:11 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home