jenny's belly

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Busy Day

My cooking club met today. It was at my parents house so I didn't have to drive. What an exhausting day! I didn't dare sit down while everyone was here for fear I wouldn't get up again. I just pushed myself to keep going and I actually feel pretty good. I won't move tomorrow, but it shows me that I CAN be active.

It was so nice to see some of my friends!! I haven't seen anyone in months. Mom jokes that we spend too much time together. Basically she's been in confinement with me for three seasons. We're just starting to come out of it. She went off shopping by herself today for the first time in.... I can't even remember how long. She was always afraid to leave me by myself when I wasn't doing very well, and truthfully I didn't like being alone AT ALL for any length of time. I was very clingy.

I don't drive much still. It feels like I'm playing a video game when I'm behind the wheel. It kind of shows you where I am cognitively. But I AM getting better. Things are starting to come back, just as my doctor said they would.

I don't think I mentioned, but mom and I are going on a celebratory HOLY-SHIT-ITS-OVER cruise the first week in April. The CT scan being the "end" just doesn't do it for me. I can't go on an adventure or sight-seeing vacation, but one where you can do nothing but stare at the waves... that's my speed. :) And I'm going on a young cancer survivors retreat weekend at the end of this month. Supposedly we get to go to a spa and stay at the Park Plaza. It's about damn time my cancer starting getting me the freebees. :)

Oh, I just added a link (on the right) to my cousin Alexandra's fundraiser for the American Cancer Society. Thank you, Ali!

Now that I've sat down, I've crashed. Time to go lounge on the couch...

8 comment(s):

I think it's wonderful you and your Mom are going on a Princess cruise!!! How appropriate for a would-be "duchess." I can just see you giving the royal wave as you pull out of port . . . . .
cousin linder

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/12/2006 6:10 PM  

I LOVE the cruise idea!!! What a great way to take a deep breath and enjoy puuting everything behind you. The perfect time for warm weather, a change of scenery, and having someone wait on BOTH of you. I'm so glad that you're treating yourself to this.

Love, cousin Kath

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/12/2006 7:57 PM  

I just checked out Ali's site and she is kicking butt! When I made a pledge the other day, her goal was less than it is today. Glad to see that she increased her goal and is STILL bringing in more than she had hoped. Not only did you let us know thorugh this sight, but Ali's been emailing the family. With a group as big as the Howard clan, even a few bucks each makes a big splash!!! Go ALI!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/12/2006 8:02 PM  

Whoo-hoo! Enjoy your cruise and your retreat. You deserve it!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/14/2006 10:54 AM  

So glad to hear that you are starting to feel well again. It must have felt great (although tiring) to have your cooking club again! I am also thrilled to hear that you and your mom are going on a cruise; you both deserve it. Staying at the Park Plaza, too? Very nice!

Keep taking care of you! Love, Kelly

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/14/2006 12:49 PM  

I am so glad that you have pulled through! I hope that this is the springtime of the new phase of your life.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/14/2006 1:28 PM  

Hi Jennifer,

What a wonderful thing to look forward to: a cruise! You and your Mom deserve this treat! Glad to hear you're feeling better and hosting your cooking club again.

Best wishes,
Willemien

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/14/2006 8:58 PM  

Jen - you are an incredible inspiration! People who haven't been through an ordeal such as yours can never know how hard it is just to make it through the day. But you've shown us how to do so with humor and grace.

Going on a cruise is a GREAT way to get away from it all! And you both soooo deserve it!

I have a little advice for you, though. When you disembark at a port, don't drink the water! Unless it's bottled and says Dasani or Aquafina or something on it. On my cruise we got stuck with a lot of people who became ill. And it was a Disney Cruise! The only thing worse than being stuck at home with a bunch of sick kids is being stuck on a boat with them! Ha Ha!

Seriously, though, congrats for bearing this so well and thanks for sharing your experiences with us. I think we're all the better for it.

BTW, please excuse cousin Kath's spelling. She's a numbers kinda gal.

Love to you and your family. And welcome back Uncle Jack!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/15/2006 2:42 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home