jenny's belly

Saturday, February 25, 2006

The costly shot

I had a doctor's appointment wednesday, and we started to talk about the end of things. Getting the CT scan, having the day surgery to take the port-a-cath out of my chest... things I never thought we'd discuss (as in, this time seemed so far away).

And since my blood went to crap last month they pre-emptively gave me a shot for my white blood cells. This shot was more of a one-time booster than the every day shot I had to get last time. But as the nurse was giving me the shot, she told me about a patient who was going on a cruise and needed to get the shot on-board. Insurance refused to pay for it since the cruise ship wasn't a hospital setting, and the man had to pay for the shot out-of-pocket.

Just guess how much it cost. Go ahead, guess.Three thousand, three hundred dollars.

Can you believe it?! One stupid shot. I can't even imagine how much my insurance company has spent on me this past year. I know my one-week hospital stay back in August was $26k. I can't imagine the other bills I've racked up. Thank GOD for insurance!

2 comment(s):

I was just as shocked by this during treatment. I was in the infusion room getting chemo and heard the nurse tell another patient she couldn't have chemo until her blood counts came back up and her insurance wouldn't cover the shots. The woman had been waiting for awhile already, which made me thinkthe chemo wouldn't be as effective if not given in the proper intervals. After she left, I asked if could pay for a shot for the woman. When she told me it was $2700, I had to rescind my offer. I had no idea at all how expensive everything was. It made me not only appreciate my insurance, but the job I have that provides it for me.

Glad you are doing well and moving forward.

By Blogger Unknown, at 2/25/2006 8:58 PM  

Hi Jen! It is great to read about positive steps in the near future. Hope you are feeling better this time around and that you are getting plenty of rest. Stay warm, too. Thinking of you, Kelly

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/27/2006 4:08 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home