jenny's belly

Monday, February 06, 2006

Lousy Blood

I found out at today's doctor appointment that I have about six white blood cells. They gave me a shot to increase my red blood cells and now I have to get a daily shot to increase my white blood cells. Even better, I now have to wear a mask in public places. I can't describe it, but I feel like I stick out when I'm surrounded by other cancer patients. I know they're all thinking: "I bet she's sick, I don't want to catch what she has!"

I don't know the unit of measurement, but my WBC is supposed to be between 4.2 and 10 and I'm at 0.3. Yeah! The nurse even joked with me that I had *no* WBCs. It would explain the wicked cold I had over the weekend. My eyes wouldn't stop running and my nose was a faucet. I must have gone through 2 boxes of tissues. But I'm feeling better, somehow. I'm not sure how my body fought it off, but it did! :)

So I have to go into Dana Farber daily the rest of this week, just to get the shot (because I'm a wimp and I can't give it to myself). They'll test my blood again on friday. But other than those appointments, I'm in lockdown at the house again.

10 comment(s):

Oh Jen. . . We continue to think of you and your mom and pray for you all everyday. Here's sending positive thoughts your way. . . Love, Kelly

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/07/2006 11:27 AM  

Is there some kind of WBC shake they can make you? (I've been reading too many of Dan's postings!) I'm sorry you have to go into Boston everyday this week, but I wouldn't want to give myself shots either. As it is much colder this week than last, please make sure to bundle up and at least you are on 'lock-down' at home instead of at the hospital (just trying to see the positive in this...) Lots of love, Desiree'

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/07/2006 12:51 PM  

Hi Jen,

Sorry to hear about the WBC. (I'm also sorry to hear about the WB but I think, in the end, Warner Bros. will be O.K. - and so will you).

As for the shot, not that I have any right to have an opinion on such things, but I had to give myself shots for the same reason and I found that, after the first few REALLY SCARY times, it got to be fairly routine. I think, in my case, my fear of hospitals narrowly outweighed my fear of giving myself a shot. Plus, the adrenaline rush of going for it really gets one's mind off the boring day to day chemo thing. The had me practice on an orange for a while, which was both silly and fun. Also, I talked my mom and dad into giving me the shots sometimes, too. Quite the family bonding experience!

Anyway, as I said, everyone is different and I wouldn't ever push you on this if it's just not something you're up to, but I thought (and hoped) that my perspective would be helpful.

Plus, if you have the extra needles around the house, it's fun to fill them with water and squirt people - the water goes really far!


:-)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/08/2006 9:23 AM  

Hey Jen - sorry to hear you're stuck in the house - although I guess it is better to be stuck in the house to avoid being really sick than to be stuck in the house because you already are really sick - right? I'll be thinking lots of happy WBC thoughts for you, so you can get those numbers up and get your last chemo over with!
By the way - I was at a B-day party for a friend of Brian's on Sat and the DJ played "I need a hero" from the footlose soundtrack - it always makes me smile to remember that week on the cape :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/09/2006 9:45 AM  

What I don't get is why they insisted on wearing a blindfold and being spun around three times before they stuck me! I mean, what was that all about? :-)

(For those feeling lost, see Lisa's message, above)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/09/2006 4:08 PM  

Where to start?!!?!

Lisa- I am sorry to hear that you had an apartment fire but I must admit that the image you evoked of Dan and his parents playing "Pin the tail on Dan" brought tears to my eyes because I was laughing so hard. I know, I'm an awful person; I have never even met
Dan and here I am laughing at his expense-- sorry Dan! But what a mental image!

Hi Becky! I wasn't sure if that was R.K. or not but now I am. Hope all is well with you. What a way for us all to be in contact again. . .

And Jen, at least you are getting some comic relief out of this blog today! We continue to think of you and hope those WBC's are cranking back up.

Love,Kelly

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/09/2006 6:57 PM  

You want comic relief? I had something happen last night that I thought was so funny I figured I'd hijack Jen's blog to pass it along. It's got nothing to do with cancer or apartment fires, but who minds a break from that? Anyway, I hope you enjoy the tale (at least that way I get something good out of it).

So, last night I go out in the back yard with my siberian husky, Kodi, so he can do his thing. While I'm out there, I notice he's brought a lot of his toys outside. (He's got a ton of 'em - nylon bones, plastic balls, chunks of rubber in red and black, etc.) I decide to brng some back inside. I pick up a bone then I see him sniffing one of his black rubber chew toys. I go pick it up. Turns out it's not so much a toy as ...well, a solid frozen piece of...you get the idea. Upon realizing what I'm holding in my bare hand, I throw it across the yard. Kodi, being the good dog he is, goes and fetches it and brings it right back! I now have to take it away from him before he chews it up, so it's back in my hands again! - plus dog spit, plus a little warmed-up.

I proceed to hurl it out of the yard and - I'm not sure about this but quite possibly - into the side of my neighbor's house.

End of story,

Have a fine weekend.

I hope the above brought a little joy into your day, Jen! :-)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/10/2006 9:33 AM  

Jen,
I'm so sorry to hear you're going through such a rough time again. I hope your white blood cells have multiplied since your last post this week and that you're starting to feel better.
Take care,
Willemien

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/10/2006 10:48 AM  

Jen - reading these posts must help you feel better - after all I've heard it said that laughter is the best medicine. Lisa wasn't the only one laughing out loud at work and getting strange looks from coworkers - between her post and Dan;s lovely story about his dog, I've been laughing for at least five minutes.
I think you should start each day with a chorus of "I need some blood cells!"
Anyway, hope you are feeling better!
Love, Beck
(yes - I remmebered to sign my name this time - and Hi to Kelly!)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/10/2006 12:45 PM  

I don't even know where to start... I've been laughing out loud reading all of these posts. WHAT A GOOD FEELING!!!!

Somehow its all at Dan's expense, but knowing Dan ("Hey, you know about THIS.") its all okay.

How funny is it my different groups of friends get along and many have never met or seen each other in years? I'm a lucky girl!!

By Blogger Jen, at 2/11/2006 11:08 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home