jenny's belly

Friday, January 13, 2006

Getting Ready

I slept all day yesterday, just as predicted. I had a nice day today with my mom, though. We got pedicures and went to see Casanova, which was a very good movie if you like that sort of thing (which I do).

I'm trying to get myself psyched up for chemo to start on wednesday. The chemo hits my body and does terrible damage. Some people can take it and not get sick at all. Especially the type and amount that I receive. Unfortunately, it really gets me.

But the next two weeks will be equally tough on my mother, my caretaker. She has to drive me in and out of the hospital each day for five days, and sit by my chair while they give me fluids and poison and meds and whatever else they find lying about the place. She's house-bound if I'm house-bound. And believe me, I'll be house-bound. Its really a very thankless role. I don't know how she keeps going, but then again, there are days when I don't know how I keep going either. But caretaker is tough. You have to maintain the positive attitude and energy. You can't get sick or be down. You can't get tired. And the caretaker still has laundry and vacuuming and has to make dinner...

So my thanks not just to my mom (whom I'll never be able to properly thank) but to ALL the caretakers past and present. Thanks for being there and being strong for us. We couldn't do it without you.

4 comment(s):

I hope you can not give it another tought till Wed morning. I know I know, how could you?
We'll all be getting ready for you too Jen, emotionally and mentally.

Jenn Crane

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/14/2006 8:36 PM  

Jen,
If your mom needs a break, I will be more than willing to drive one of the days! As long as that doesn't include laundry! I have plenty of our own! I really enjoyed the afternoon of conversation as I drove you in. I promise I won't take the long way this time! But, I did get you there! Let me know!
Auntie Jeanne

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/15/2006 8:21 PM  

Jen, we will be thinking of both you and your mom, as well as the rest of your family, over the next days and weeks. The role of the caretaker is indeed a difficult one; one that often goes by unnoticed. Being able to recognize your mom's difficult role and seek support for her is such a wonderful thing for you to do. You truly are an inspiratiion Jen

I was so glad to hear that you and your mom had such a nice day. Here's sending positive thoughts and hugs your way, especially for the next few weeks. Stay warm and well rested! Love, Kelly

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/16/2006 9:42 AM  

Jen-I'm so sorry that we didn't get to see you on Sunday. I was so looking forward to it--damn snow!!!! The roads are still crappy around here. Yuck! Gather strength from all of us for tomorrow and the days/weeks to come.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/17/2006 9:16 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home