jenny's belly

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Poisoning Tomorrow

Well, tomorrow begins "Cycle 4" for me. A daily dose of chemotherapy through sunday morning. I'm not afraid or even anxious about it. Of course I don't want it to happen, but I'm very resigned to it.

Some of that is because I know I won't be sick tomorrow. It doesn't hit me right away. Rather, it takes a bit of time for the drugs to really hit my system. I might even feel okay Thursday too. Friday, no, but Thursday maybe.

I wish I could describe it in terms of the flu, but its so much worse. I've had chemo and I've had the flu. At this point, I would welcome the flu. It's really harsh punishment and there's nothing natural about it except the body does everything it can think of to get rid of the poison. And I mean everything.

Its the daily infusion of fluids that keeps me out of the hospital. And I've mentioned this before, but the amount of chemotherapy I receive is laughingly small compared to others at any given cancer treatment center. Mine arrives in a needle, not a bag. Or bags. Some people have to sit there for 3, 4 even 6 hours to receive all of their chemo. I'm 10 minutes. It takes longer for me to get my anti-nausea medicine.

So I'll be getting my poison about 1:30 tomorrow, and I'm ready. Ready to be done with it all!

4 comment(s):

Go get 'em, kid!

(with the "'em" referring, I suppose, to the cancer cells. ...I suppose, if you have to explain the rallying cry, it's not the best rallying cry, but you get my point - go kill cancer!)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/18/2006 9:12 AM  

Hey Jen! We're thinking of you. I third Dan's "rally cry" (zap whatever, if any, cancer cells are left) and second Lisa's sentiment, the end is in sight. I hope all the anti-nausea meds help this time around. Sending more positive thoughts (and a little zofran) your way! Love, Kelly

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/18/2006 12:35 PM  

I hope things went well with this round of chemo. I'll be thinking about you over the next few days and sending you good thoughts. Hang in there and do whatever it takes to stay as comfortable as possible (I know, easier said than done).

By Blogger Unknown, at 1/18/2006 7:41 PM  

Hey Jen -
just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you as you go through this round of chemo - sounds liek you have a good attitude going into it - I hope you are able to keep your spirits up!

Love, Becky

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/18/2006 9:29 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home