jenny's belly

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Another Shot

I got another shot today, this one for red blood cells. The shot last week for white blood cells appears to have worked, which is good.

The shot really stung this week because the nurse (not my usual nurse) gave it to me too fast. It reminded me of a lady in the waiting room last week. She was probably about 55. She overheard that I was getting a shot and asked me nervously if it hurt because she was getting one too. I wanted to say 'Well ma'am, it *IS* a shot' but I wasn't so sarcastic. Who asks if a shot hurts? Of course it does!

I'm feeling better now, mostly just very tired. My joints ache, but that's because of the shots. They get the bone marrow working overtime.

My oncology nurse Nina told me I didn't need an occupational therapist because they work mostly with coordination issues, and my chemobrain will eventually just clear itself up. She said I'm being too hard on myself expecting that just because treatment has ended I'm supposed to be all 'normal'. In fact, Nina told me not to expect to feel good until June. At least I have a target now. June, as opposed to say, friday. :)

I don't have the energy to do the physical therapy yet, but I hope in another two weeks or so I can start that. It will probably be a case of "physical therapy then 6 -hour nap". After all, I only went to the doctors today, and I just got up from a 4-hour nap. :)

3 comment(s):

Glad to hear that things are moving along Jen and that you have been given a reasonable time period to expect recovery in. I am sure that it will take the chemobrain some time to clear up but it will happen. Think of what your poor body's been through; it needs a little time to regroup and recover. . . Then you'll be back to doing complex math in the tea aisle at the supermarket and naming all sort of columns that I only vaguely remember!

In the meantime, go easy on yourself. Get lots of rest and fluids and enjoy planning time outside for the spring. (Spring is coming, right?!) Take care of yourself~ Love, Kelly

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/02/2006 10:04 PM  

While you are resting, you can start looking through those cruise or vacation brochures. Of course, none of us are flush with big $$$, but once you are feeling better, you need a real change of pace to begin the next phase of your new life. A cheap Caribbean/Florida/Mexico trip should do the trick! Keep warm and give Bodo a hug for me.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/03/2006 11:12 AM  

June is only 3 months away. After all you've been through, that's as good as "Friday". BTW - Looks like I have access to your site again at work. Not sure what the deal was...got an ominous "forbidden" message when I tried yesterday, and this morning I got right in. (Shows you how well I listen...)
Take care!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/07/2006 7:47 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home