jenny's belly

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Nothing Much

I'm getting better all the time... This morning I had my second of 3 appointments with a personal trainer and I feel that I did quite well. I'm definitely able to push myself, which is a good thing. Oh, and I did something I've always wanted to do but never been able to do... I ate lunch by myself in a restaurant. I know it seems stupid, but its always made me really nervous and though I wanted to be like the other brave people who do it, I just couldn't. Well, I did. Yay! Another barrier down.

I have a focus group meeting at Dana Farber on monday, which should be interesting. I don't even know what its for, except that its clearly cancer-related. I should re-read the letter they sent me so I at least know what I'll be going in for. I think it has to do with how we get information on cancer. A little boring for a 2-hour meeting, but I'm willing to help them out however I can.

I'm starting to get a little nervous about returning to work. I plan to start up next month, but I guess being away for so long... well, I can't help but be a bit frazzled when I think about it. I have no idea what kind of expectations people have for me, or even what I have for myself. I guess I have a few more weeks to get used to the idea, and keep going to the gym so I can at least handle my commute in. Wouldn't it be great to arrive exhausted? "Good morning!... Well, I'm heading home." :)

2 comment(s):

I'm really excited for how things are going for you and I forsee even better times ahead.

I remember, back when you first told us about the caner, thinking about my memories of going through the things you were about to go through. I tried to be honest with you about it all without being unnecessarily negative but I knew there was a great big pile of badness standing in front of you. There was no way under it, over it or around it. I knew you were going to have to go right through the middle.

So now I'm so happy to see you on the other side and to forsee you getting healthier and stronger every day. (Why does that last sentence make me think of Tiny Tim from A Christmas Carol?)

Anyway, my point is that this part of the whole cancer recovery thing is likely to be increasingily joyious and fun! :-)

...And I also like the knocking down of barriers thing. I can't tell you how many times I've used the whole "I survived cancer, there's no way I'm letting this petty worry get me down" strategy. Doesn't alway work ...but overall it's damn effective!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/03/2006 10:00 AM  

Jen news! Its so encouraging to hear how well you are doing Jen. I am impressed with you being able to push yourself at the gym but just as impressed with eating lunch alone at a restaurant. Now I can view you as one of those brave people! Congrats on another barrier down.

I can imagine that you are nervous about returning to work and I think it must be normal to feel that way. I think the routine of going to work may be nice for a while. It's reassuring to have some predictable pattern in life.

Hope all continues to go well. Thinking of you! Love, Kelly

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/04/2006 9:05 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home