jenny's belly

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Genetic Testing

I had genetic testing yesterday at Dana Farber. I didn't really have high hopes for it, so I'm not really dissapointed that they can't figure out why I got stomach cancer. There are no obvious links between anyone else in my extended family. For example, just because my grandfather had prostate cancer doesn't mean it was inevitable that I would get stomach cancer. There are certain genetic links-- like if you get thyroid cancer you might end up with breast cancer later. They weren't able to make any connections for me, and told me they might never be able to.
I joined their database by signing away my life and giving a few blood samples. They use it for research, obviously, and try to make connections between certain genes and certain types of cancer. And should any links be established in the future, they would contact me. Again, I find this highly unlikely, but you never know.
Stomach cancer is very rare in the United States, and is in fact declining (doctors don't know why) but the type of cancer I had is actually increasing. And doctors don't know why this is either.
I'm going to have another endoscopy in June, but my gastroenterologist said she would take tons of biopsies. I begged to be knocked out and she agreed. Oh, and I'm lucky enough to be scheduled for a colonoscopy at the same time. Wa-hoo! What do I care, I won't be awake anyway. Plus, as she said, if they find anything that will lead them down another path. Hm, no kidding.

5 comment(s):

Hi Jen!
At least while you're "knocked out," all those "yucky" tests can be done at one time and you won't even know they are happening!!!
I hope to hear that you and Donna had a great time on your cruise.
Love, Jeanne
(aka Dr. Crazy's Mom)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/15/2006 6:36 PM  

Sorry you didn't find any connections at your appointment on Friday but at least you can cross that one of your "to do" list and have the satisfaction that you explored that option as well. "Genetic testing-- check"

I agree with Dr. Crazy's mom, if you are going to be out anyway, you might as well get all the "yucky" tests over with at once. Then you can cross those off your list, too.

I hope you all had a wonderful Easter- what a beautiful weekend! (Too bad the Sox lost. . . )I also hope you had a nice, relaxing time on your cruise. Thinking of you, Kelly

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/17/2006 1:17 AM  

...might as well have'em change the transmission fluid and rotate the tires while you're there, too.

:-)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/17/2006 3:29 PM  

I'm going to get the whole service package. I'm pretty sure its been 10,000 miles.
:)

By Blogger Jen, at 4/17/2006 5:56 PM  

Just so you know, I hear the undercoating is a rip-off.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/18/2006 8:58 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home