jenny's belly

Friday, June 23, 2006

Nap Time

I spend most of my time at work appologizing. Seriously, I continuously forget things. And I found my ability to write professional copy is GONE. I could not write a little introduction to a glossary. Its really frustrating.

I met with my radiology oncologist yesterday for my first 6-month exam. I was able to talk to him about being tired--STILL--and he said it wasn't uncommon. "You've been through a lot." I guess when I hear it from doctors I believe it a bit more than when non-doctors tell me. I figure these doctors see a whole range of patients and if they put ME into the "been through a lot" catergory then it must be true. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just being a wimp.

You know, do I *really* need a nap every day? Well, yes, I really do. When I skip them I can't function well the next day. But then, maybe I've always needed an afternoon nap. I remember taking them when I was in college as a freshman and sophomore, before I was working full-time. But this feels more than "gosh, I'd like a nap". More like, "holy crap, if I don't sleep soon I'm going to collapse". And my doctor said that's okay, so I guess it is.

I'd really like to be able to pinpoint a date when I'll be 100% and all my doctors tell me its impossible. They all give me the same advice--just look back a month and be able to say "I'm better now". And I've been able to say that so... I guess that's all I get.

When is my brain function coming back? Its hard to feel like an idiot at work. I want to wear a sign "I wasn't always stupid". Doctors promise me it isn't permanent. I think other cancer patients hide it better. I remember some things and can perform adequately at work, but by no means am I performing up to my baseline standards.

And you know what? Everyone else has more patience with me....THAN me.

3 comment(s):

Do you know how many people you work with now and in the past who are REAL idiots? And these folks have never had cancer...Give yourself a break, my friend. In the past year, your body has been stressed mentally and physically like never before. It will take time to get back to the 'old' Jen. And I don't see any problem with your writing skills. Your blog entries are as funny and informational as ever. Enjoy the weekend! :-)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/23/2006 9:16 AM  

OMG! Desiree made a very good point about all those REAL idiots out there. You are being tough on yourself and maybe that's ok if it's keeping you going, just don't be too tough. Baby steps.

Jenn Crane

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/24/2006 10:39 AM  

Not original, I know but I must echo what Desiree and Jenn said. Try not to be too hard on yourself; hope you had a wonderful (rainy) weekend and happy thought for a productive week ahead! Love, Kelly

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/25/2006 8:40 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home