jenny's belly

Monday, June 19, 2006

Working Girl

I think I did well in my first week back to work. I was completely exhausted friday and had to leave early but part of that is because I didn't take a nap the day before *and* I drove into work. I wanted to have my car with me because I had a doctor's appt at Dana Farber and it just made complete sense at the time. But at 11:00am I was staring into space and couldn't focus on my work, little as there was for me to do. And I still had this long day of lunch with Carrie, then Bus transit over to the Farber, then wait for the doctor, doctor's appt, and home by about 4:00. And by 11:00 I could NOT see how it was going to work.
It didn't. I was home by 1pm and nearly fell asleep eating lunch. I took a nap and woke up at 5:30.
I had a good day today, though. I didn't take a nap this afternoon though I rested (VERY important). I goofed up some dates during some practice emails with my co-worker Cori Leigh, who did my job while I was gone... things I know are chemobrain-related and so I let them go. "Normal Jen" would never make such mistakes. My face would have flushed flame red, and I'd have been humilated and embarassed. "How could I be so careless? How could I have..." Yeah, not so much. Now I can say "Oh yeah, I didn't do that right" and move on. I got very used to being rather stupid this past winter so I have to be able to shake things off quickly.
Anyway, my 9-1pm schedule is working out really well. It will suck when it comes to payday, but in the meantime its good for my health. I'm really very tired when I get home between 2:30 and 3:00 and I think I'm going to try to stick with this schedule for a few more weeks. Maybe mid-July. I'd like to be able to go a full week without needing naps each afternoon. I mean, is that so much to ask? :)

3 comment(s):

I'm glad you are doing the half-days and you should stick with it at least through the month of July. Why rush things?? And it is great that your boss understands.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/20/2006 10:29 AM  

Hey Jen! Glad to hear that although you are tired (understandably), things are going so well. The half day seems like a great solution. It is also good to hear that you are cutting yourself a break and that you can move on past little mistakes. Hope all continues to go well. Thinking of you! Kelly

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/21/2006 11:28 AM  

Glad things are going well and that you are getting back into the swing of things. I know the transition can be tough, but it seems like you have a handle on it and are able to forgive that which you have no control over. Sounds pretty to healthy to me all around. Take care!

By Blogger Unknown, at 6/22/2006 10:26 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home