jenny's belly

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

1 year

We quietly passed my one-year since diagnosis, which was July 22nd. I didn't celebrate, but definitely marked the occasion. It both feels like it just happened, and also like its always been this way. I had a doctor say to me yesterday, "This was probably your toughest year, huh?" Well, yes, unless you count that year I had a really hard trigonometry test.

There's a 16 year old in the news right now who decided he doesn't want to go through chemotherapy anymore, but the courts are forcing him. I think it must be because the judge in his case sees enough reason for him to go through treatments. Like, maybe doctors have good reason that he'd survive. I can understand some people who have been through years and years of treatments who decide they just don't want to continue anymore. But this kid was diagnosed last year, and said he doesn't want to continue because he would throw up and didn't feel well. Um... So instead he's eating organically. That's just great. The kid is going to Mexico for his treatments. Because if I had my cancer return, I'd also go to a 3rd world country and reject years of scientific discovery. Look, there's constant nausea. Sometimes you don't think you can continue. You throw up, you have diahrreah, you're weak, you can't think straight. But you do it, just like every other patient, because its your best bet for survival.

I have a CT scan next week, then see my oncologist the following week. I also have an appointment with my gastroenterologist because I've been getting lots of pain when I eat. I'm guessing something isn't quite right and hopefully there's some kind of drug that can fix it. It really sucks to want to curl into the fetal position at work. "How are you?" "Great! owwwwww..."

So this week is my 2nd week going full-time. Its not been easy. I am really tired mid-afternoon. I don't take a lunch break away from my desk because I'm afraid I won't have the energy to continue the day. But it makes for a REALLY long day. About 2:30-3:00 I've really had it. I was able to go off my sleeping meds I have been on for a LONG time, but obviously I should probably go back on them again (it's 3:30am). I just tossed and turned and finally got up. Hopefully now that I have 2-1/2 hrs left before I have to get up again I can get some kind of sleep...

4 comment(s):

Not a happy anniversary, but SO glad that you are with us and fighting this thing every step of the way!!! Sounds like you might be pushing yourself a bit much - if your boss is still giving you some flexibility with work, please take advantage of it. Sorry for the advice, but I care and want you to take care of yourself. I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...(smile!)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/25/2006 9:21 AM  

Hi Jen! Hope you are pacing yourself as you "ease" back into work. I must agree with Desiree, it does sound as though you may be pushing yourself a little too hard. . .

It is hard to believe that a whole year has passed since your diagnosis but so much has happened in that year and I am so glad that you are here and that you have done so well! Have a great week. Love, Kelly

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/02/2006 6:27 AM  

....must ...have ....more ...Jennews.

Can't ...hold ...out ... any ...longer....

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/07/2006 9:11 AM  

Hi,
I am from Road of Life: Cancer Prevention for Kids and I just wanted to tell you a little bit about our great program.
Road of Life: Cancer Prevention for Kids is a non-profit organization with a mission to eradicate preventable cancer and diseases of excess by educating children about the smoking, fitness, and nutrition decisions they can make to lead healthier lives.
We provide health programs FREE for download right off our website. Our programs consist of a classroom curriculum, after school program, a family program, and a Health Care Careers Program.
If you have any questions or if you would like more information, please feel free to visit www.roadoflife.org. We understand how hard it can be to battle it alone, and it is always great to have group support.

By Blogger Road Of Life, at 10/25/2007 1:05 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home