jenny's belly

Friday, August 25, 2006

blood shots

Holy crap. I haven't signed on in so long I almost forgot my id and password...

So, I learned this earlier in the week: "The actual cause of stomach cancer is unknown. However, people with blood type A and a history of pernicious anemia are at a greater risk of developing this cancer."

Guess who's type A with anemia! Okay, I looked up pernicious and didn't retain what I learned, but still. interesting.

Here's what I want cancer patients to understand more than anything else: (1) don't listen to your doctors when they tell you you can go back to work. Because they really don't know. My oncologist and nurse both thought I was going to stay out of work until the fall. Even though my oncologist cleared me to go back to work, he was surprised I'm full time. D'oh! (2) don't let your doctors ignore you just because you're done with treatment. (3) just because you're done with treatment doesn't mean you're all set.

I'm still anemic, and now I'm getting weekly red blood boosters for the next 6 weeks. I was on a liquid iron supplement which made me sick and therefore dehydrated so I had to get fluids yesterday. Joy. It's taken a bit of fighting to get them to fix my blood. I'm anemic which makes you tired anyway, and then I have chemo/radiation fatigue which makes it hard to do anything. GOD I'm tired.

And the 15th was my 1 year surgery date. A year ago I was in some serious pain. I was home, but not sleeping.

Aside from the blood/fatigue thing I'm doing well though. The chemobrain seems to be really cleared up now. I can count on my memory again, though I don't push it. And I'm taking it easy at work. Lots of aimless internet breaks to keep my stress level really low.

Thanks for checking in on me! :)

1 comment(s):

Aimless internet breaks? Who ever heard of such a thing? Spending time during work hours on-line writing notes on friend's blogs? Outrageous!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/28/2006 9:48 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home