jenny's belly

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

CT Scan Time

I've got another CT scan coming up on monday. Not too nervous about it. I've been going every week for the past few months to get a shot and often an infusion of iron. I'm really noticing a difference. I had a busy day at work, for example, and I'm not asleep right now. I can definitely do more than before. I love that I'm starting to think of things to do with my free time, and cleaning my condo doesn't seem insurmountable. well, I take that back, it still seems insurmountable, but I no longer feel I should move as a result. Yes, I'm still living with my parents. I was sick over the weekend and dissolved into tears on the bathroom floor. My mom came into the room and gave me a hug, then brought me into my room, changed the sheets, lifted the mattress up (it always slips down because I have an inflatable pillow under the head of the mattress) and then she made me some tea and gave me some oyster crackers (sweet old friend). I think I'd just have sat on the floor crying all night had I been alone at my condo. Some of it is definitely feeling sorry for myself. I do know that I do it, and its because I felt sorry for myself all the time last year. But some of it is also just feeling shitty sometimes.
My nurse told me last week that I'm not the only one out there with terrible blood. "It hasn't even been a year since you've been off treatment," she told me. "Your blood will be bad for awhile longer." Basically, think of how incredible it is that the body can repair itself after being poisoned. I need a little bit more help than maybe the typical patient, but I think a big part of that is because there aren't a whole lot of survivors out there with stomach cancer. 50% don't make it. How do you like THOSE odds? I never felt I had a 50/50 chance, but those are the stats.
I'm getting a new medical oncologist. Fortunately, not a new radiation oncologist. I only see my radiation oncologist twice a year but I have a patient crush on him. :) Much of it might be his voice, but whatever the case, I get to see him next month. But as for my medical oncologist, I see him in 2 weeks to go over my CT scan results. It will be interesting to see how a new person steps into my medical circle. I have a billion nurses and several doctors, and they all manage different things, but it leads up to my medical oncologist. The one thats leaving at the end of this week, Dr. Bhargava, should never have let me return to work as soon as I did. True, it didn't do any damage, but I should have given myself more time. I think it might have been good for me mentally, but physically it wasn't good.
ANYWAY, I'm doing better now. I'm not as nervous about my CT scan (like, maybe things will be okay).

2 comment(s):

Hope everything goes well with the CT scan and the new oncologist. Keep us updated!

(And I'm glad you have your mom there for you. Don't worry about feeling sorry for yourself -- I still have days when I feel sorry for myself three years out, but they come less frequently now.)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/03/2006 3:55 PM  

Hi Jen,

Just thought I'd check in with you to hear the latest (hopefully all good) news. Your posse of Jennews Junkies needs to be satiated with the latest.....

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/16/2006 12:51 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home