jenny's belly

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Mmm Reflux

At some point when I was still out-of-it the nutritionist visited. I have no recollection of this so it's a good thing my mother talked with her. As Lisa describes below, this woman said I not only needed special food (requiring a person to actually go shopping for me) but if I was to have bread it would need a special toaster. Crumbs from one bread type must never cross another? I pictured my new toaster being fire-engine red.

My primary care doctor visited me not long after this. She thought all the Celiac "anti-wheat" stuff was funny and called the nutritionist a "Wheat Nazi". After reading up some more she called my mom and admitted it is kind of serious and likely will require a new diet for me.

But in the meantime, when I was told to start eating off the normal menu (and yes, the Pavillion had a menu) I could order anything I wanted. But it couldn't have wheat/oat/bran/barley, etc in it. Or milk products (hard to digest). Or lettuce (same). But otherwise, seriously, anything you want. I had a miserable time finding anything and generally went back to my "clear liquids diet" which I frankly love. Doctors weren't happy but since everything else was like eating jagged metal, at least *I* was happy.

I tried to order chicken salad with rice crackers for dinner sunday night...
* Jen: I just want the chicken salad, but no roll.
* Nurse Maureen: She doesn't want the salad kind of chicken salad...
* Jen: Yeah, the sandwich kind of chicken salad
* Food Staff: So you want a chicken salad?
* Jen: No, not the salad, the chopped chicken with mayonaise. See? Chicken salad.
* Nurse Maureen: Don't order the salad with the tomato and the grilled chicken.
* Food Staff: That's not the one?
* Nurse Maureen: No, it's the sandwich kind of chicken salad.
* Jen: [laughing] Now I don't even want chicken salad!
* Nurse Maureen: [laughing] I don't remember what chicken salad *IS* anymore!

On monday, when they were going to release me to the wild, I noticed shrimp cocktail on the menu and decided to order it (no wheat, no dairy, no jagged edges- sounds good!). I couldn't eat it because all the chewing made it really unappealing, but my aunt Jo arrived in the hospital to see me eating this gourmet lunch: "Oh...my...God. What kind of hospital is this?!"

I've been reading on the acid reflux a lot-- I know I'm going to have to follow a celiac's diet eventually, but I'm just working on being able to EAT at this point. I think I have to adjust the height of the headboard so that my head is elevated above my feet. I slept in bed last night (BED!) but I was propped up sitting and I woke up at 12, 1, 2 and got up at 4:00 mostly with back pain, not reflux. It's just disturbing that it won't go away. I think I'll always have uncontrolled reflux now. The only thing we have to keep food in our stomach while it's being digested is GONE now for me.

I won't show you the staples again :) Besides, they come out on wednesday (YAY!)

I'm looking forward to seeing my friends and extended family soon! I've left the house a few times this week, and have even eaten at Pub 99 (kids menu) and Fridays (LOTS of take-home). I can't drive due to Oxycodone and even when I get out somewhere I pace myself so I don't get exhausted. Basically, meeting for lunch or a trip to the mall is kind of out of the question, but only at this point. I haven't been out of the hospital a full week yet, so I can't ask too much of myself.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing people soon! And please know I'm working on my thank you cards. It's a big job but I sincerely appreciate all of my cards and little gifts. So many wonderful people, I love you all!!! :)

3 comment(s):

seriously jen..just eat the pink lemonade sherbert from friendly's...im tellin yah...its cheap, taste's great...and I have lived on in for the past month...


talk to you soon
love
jeff

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/27/2005 6:47 PM  

I'm sorry I got you and Cynthia hooked on it. Isn't it great? I'd like some now, please! :)

By Blogger Jen, at 8/28/2005 1:20 AM  

Nevermind that sherbert stuff - what you need is a Blizzard! (If Brad ever returns to this country I'll have him fetch one for us.)

Glad to hear starting to get up and around. Keep up the humor!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/29/2005 9:28 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home