jenny's belly

Friday, September 16, 2005

Some Dates for Next Steps

Yet another lovely food adventure where what goes down must come back up. Yuck. This better not become a regular thing. #1 lesson learned: for the love of all that is holy, I must stop trying to drink while I eat. It's hard because things are salty or sweet or dry, and research has shown that liquids help with this problem. But in my case something bad WILL happen.

It occurred to me tonight that gastric patients aren't allowed to eat for a month or two after surgery, they're on protein shakes and yogurt and stuff. I tried to eat a steak and cheese sub. Again, the sub wasn't the problem, it was the gatorade I carefully sipped after a few bites. And then the old "Oh, here we go again..."

So anyway I have some more information nailed down, like dates, etc for next steps. I mentioned Sept 22 already below, and that's still on the calendar. CT Scan #2 of 3, blood work, and meet with nurses. I'm scheduled for day surgery Sept 26 at Brigham & Womens to have a port-a-cath implanted. Seriously, follow that link and read "Principles" (shiver). Who wants to trade places? Anyone?

I'll bet it just a way for the government to track my every move. Boy will THEY be disappointed. (BORING!) :)

One week after I get my top secret transmitter device I will begin chemotherapy. They've given me October 3 as a "go" date. And I STILL don't know if I'm in the "standard" or "standard plus" path.

On top of all of this, I had my teeth cleaned today in preparation for radiation/chemotherapy (which can cause LOTS of problems, as can the stomach acid) and I have to have some cavities filled. YIPEE!!

Everyone says "Hey, you've been through a lot worse" every time I'm in a painful situation. And I say nothing but think, "granted, but THIS is hurting me NOW." I actually can't handle pain any better than before, I'm not sure why so many think I've been conditioned somehow. Really, I haven't! I don't want the radiation tattoos or the implant or the needle-pricks. They'll make my eyes water and hurt me. But the alternative is..........?

I've gotta do what I've gotta do. :)

2 comment(s):

I agree on the dismissal of the "you've been through much worse" comments. I don't see how that would help you. I used a reverse method to get through preparing for childbirth. See, you have to get your blood taken when you are pg several times for various tests. I was so squeemish of the needle and thought, "well this is nothing compared to what I'm going to have to get through in a few months, I better toughen up and take this needle like a woman!" And actually, it did help . . . to take the needle I mean. It's the reverse from what these jokesters are trying to talk you into but along the same lines.
Childbirth is probably a lot more fun and a lot less painful than your ordeal . . .and you get a cute squished baby in the end. Maybe you should ask the white coats where you can sign up for that program instead? Or just insist that they have your 3/4 stomach bundled up with a knitted hat to hand over to you somewhere in that hospital.
Ok, now I'm just getting gross instead of funny. I try. But admit, that does bring up a funny picture, doesn't it?

Jenn Crane

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/18/2005 1:30 PM  

Yes, that is funny. If, by "funny" you mean terribly, terribly disturbing :-)

But, then, I've been through reading disturbing e-mails before...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/19/2005 11:37 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home