jenny's belly

Sunday, September 11, 2005

I Can't Drive 35

I drove today for the first time in a month. It was a beautiful evening and I had my windows down, sunroof open, and a full tank of gas. Well, exciting as it COULD have been, I only drove across town to my condo. No big deal. :) Turning left hurts (fyi, your stomach is under your left lung), seatbelt hurts, bucket seat kinda hurts, driving fast makes bumps more pronounced... But independence and cranked-up tunes made it worth it!

I got home and turned the A/C to 68 (it was at 72 but really stuffy) and sat down on my bed for the first time in a long time. I even stretched out and put on the TV. HOLY UNCOMFORTABLENESS batman. For the first time I realized that my brother's ridiculously soft bed might be better than my bed for this stage in my healing. I bet I was on that bed 10 minutes tops.

I checked my answering machine, and some messages were from August 11 (oops). The thing was completely full and nothing was important (mostly reminders for doctor's appts and well-wishes (thank you!!)). I thought about shutting it off but left it on. I hope no one leaves any messages on it that require action. I'm as good with voicemail as I am responding to email. :)

I didn't eat today until 8pm. It's strange to me how sometimes the idea of eating just turns my stomach inside out, even as I KNOW I'm supposed to eat 6 times. There was nothing I wanted to eat. I ended up eating a frozen dinner I brought from the condo. And a chocolate chip cookie. The cookie was a bad idea. I feel blah again. I'm thinking about making tea. I *LIVE* on tea and crackers. Oyster crackers are my favorite. Mini saltines in fun shapes!

I went to the cape Friday and paid for it all day Saturday. I even had to take an oxycodone, which I had been off for awhile. Today has been better, but I hurt more than I did earlier in the week. I'm back to holding my left side like something might fall out.

Two steps forward, one step back.

I've discovered an ability to selectively listen. I just remembered my radiologist saying the cure rate is 50% for stomach cancer. And I dismissed this information without it upsetting me. "Yes, well, those people were more sick than me." How the heck do I know that?!

Lisa, how are we coming on those "Touch me, I'm super-soft" T-shirts?

3 comment(s):

Hey, Jen: Is that picture of the woman on the weather picture the new you after eating crackers and tea for several weeks? Looking good, baby!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/12/2005 10:58 AM  

The weather girl changes her clothes based on the temperature and there's a cat that comes and goes (I call him "Eddie" after my neighbor's cat). Isn't it cute?? :)

By Blogger Jen, at 9/14/2005 10:32 AM  

wasn't the pain worth it though to go to the CAPE and get in YOUR car and drive with the sun roof and wind in your hair etc etc? Just to be at your place (even if only for a little while) reminds you why you are going through this madness. Nice try huh!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/14/2005 5:29 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home