jenny's belly

Monday, September 05, 2005

No, Actually Ramp Beds are Crappy

Well it's official-- I have insomnia.

I guess it can be expected, I sort of *do* have a lot going on to ruin a good night's sleep. I probably dozed a bit between 12:30a and 2a but I definitely didn't sleep. I put the light on and read for an hour then moved downstairs to sleep on the porch recliner... I ended up just watching a Simpsons episode on my computer (Stonecutters!) and staring at the ceiling. Well, it's too late for a sleeping pill, but at least I have some for tomorrow night.

My mom and Lisa took the lifts off the headboard of the bed for me so it's not slanted anymore. I really didn't like it, though I know it's what I'm supposed to have. The head elevated by 6" is to help with the reflux, but makes everything else uncomfortable. No deal. I thought that was why I had insomnia last night, but obviously its something more...

I saw a shooting star about an hour ago, when I let Bodo outside. It started exactly where I was looking anyway and streaked across the sky. I think of them as good luck even as I know the science behind them.

I think I'm going to just give up on sleep and head for the great room. I have my Looney Tunes DVDs here and I think I'll just sit back and enjoy. I have to get up in 2 hours anyway to take Lisa to the airport. Her visit was so short! :(

3 comment(s):

Jen, when the kids were little I used to stuff pillows or blankets under the matress at the head of the bed to raise it without worrying about them suffocating on pillows or bedding. I am not sure if it would be enough of an incline to relieve the reflux but the whole bed wouldn't slant so much. You could also tuck a pillow under your knees to slow down the downward slide.

What a lot of information to digest from DF! At least with the port-a-cath they won't have to stick you for a good vein for an IV every time you go for chemo. . . railroad tracks, human pin cushion. . . I am saddened to hear that you have more to go through but I am so thankful that this cancer was diagnosed and found. I consider this "accidental discovery" lucky; I am taking it as a good omen for you. You were meant to find and destroy this cancer.

Take care, I am continuing to think good thoughts and to keep you all in my prayers. Kelly B.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/05/2005 7:27 AM  

Jen,

So sorry to hear that with everything else going on, you also are not sleeping. After finally getting the sleep apnea diagnosed, you're back to insomnia! It must make your nerves raw.

It sounds like Dana Farber is the place to be. I agree with your mother that having the computer decide which treatment path is unsettling, but their research methods can be so clinical. No matter which treatment is done, you know you have a huge group of people who love you and are praying for you. I passed your latest posting on to my sibs who can't access the blog due to their work computers.

Add me to your car pool list! I can do a day every other week. Once you know your routine, call or email me and we'll set it up. I'm serious, so take advantage of it!

Glad to hear Dr. Crazy was able to visit and I'm sure it was medicine DF couldn't prescribe. Nothing better than an old friend when you're in need.

Keeping you in our prayers,
Cousin Kath

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/05/2005 9:45 AM  

Dear Jen, I would like to help with rides also. This is Kathy's sister , your second cousin Susan Cwynar from the Cape. I have a day off a week so when you start I can plug in.
I have used benadryl for sleep especially when I know I need to get up early for something. It keeps me asleep only about 4 hours with no hangover so I can take it up to a certain time if I wake in the middlw of the nite. We use it when we stay over at the AMC huts in the White Mtns sleeping in dorm rooms with 30 strangers!!! You gotta have something! Our trail mix is benadryl and motrin {which Uncle Jack calls Ranger candy!} Keep smiling Love Susan

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/05/2005 1:47 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home