jenny's belly

Monday, October 10, 2005

Chemo Starts Tomorrow

Twelve hours from now I'll be in the Dana Farber Cancer Institute for the first chemotherapy treatment of my life. Am I nervous? Surprisingly not as much as you'd think. I'm ready for it to start.

When all your energy is focused on one thing and you've put in weeks of testing and interviews and various bodily tortures you're ready. :)

I'm not completely sure what to expect, but I will meet with my oncologist, Dr. Bhargava before I get the chemo. I think he'll even bring me down to the treatment floor. I wish I'd been able to see the space before I'll be in it. I should have stopped at the floor at earlier visits, but I never thought of it before now. Oh well!

Anyway, here are some charms already attached to the bracelet:--> from cousin Susan, a "prayer box" which she gave me when she first heard about the cancer. It didn't occur to me until recently that I should add it to the bracelet! I'd never heard of a prayer box before, but the idea is that you put your troubles inside and then they're in God's safekeeping. :)
--> from cousin Amy, a four leaf clover. Doesn't it look real? I wonder if it is... Amy said her husband carries one with him, and now I'll be able to do the same!
--> from cousin Kathy, a wine glass with red garnet as the wine. It should be an empty wine glass, because I had WAY too much fun in the tasting class we took a few years ago. If the wine was good I, um, didn't waste it. hehehe

I'm so glad I'll be able to wear the bracelet tomorrow. The jeweler did a nice job putting them all on. He changed the rings on many of them so they won't pull apart after wear.

Here are some to be added to the bracelet later:--> from my grandmother, a madonna. My grandfather told me this evening that this is a charm my nana had as a child. How fantastic is that?! This picture doesn't do it justice...
--> from my grandfather, a sailboat. I think he would tell you that sailing was his life. I remember him on that boat all the time! I wonder if my younger cousins remember it too...
--> from me, a snoopy charm. Hehehe. And only because they don't make one for Lucy. :)

A quick FYI for my family: please know she is doing well, but my grandmother is in the hospital right now. She woke up with some pains in her neck (sometimes a warning sign before a heart attack) and she spent the day in the emergency room as doctors tried to stabilize her blood pressure and wildly fluctuating heartbeat. She was mad (why do I have to be here, what are all these stupid wires for, why can't I go home since I feel fine, etc) the entire time, so you know she feels okay. :)

She is in ICU which is good because that means they're watching her closely. I hope they decide to put a pacemaker in because I think it would make her feel so much better.

I'll update news on my nana and my chemo tomorrow. Thanks for all of your prayers!

7 comment(s):

...seems like a fine day to go cancer huntin'

Time to kill us some cancer! (Unless it's already all gone - which would be fine, too).

Best of luck, Jen!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/11/2005 8:20 AM  

Best wishes to you and your Nana today!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/11/2005 8:27 AM  

Jen, All your old workmates will be thinking of you today and the weeks to come. Please promise me, tho, that you won't be thinking of us! Still haven't found the *right* charm for your bracelet (FMD Corporate Marketing hasn't made them yet. joke) I just haven't found one that will trigger the right laugh (vs acid reflux) :^)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/11/2005 9:48 AM  

Thinking about you today and hoping your treatment is without side effects, or at least side effects you cannot handle. You have a great outlook on this. Sometimes I think you have to feel stronger than the chemo to get through it and it seems you do. Take care.

By Blogger Unknown, at 10/11/2005 12:15 PM  

Hi Jen! Your charm bracelet is getting better and better all the time! I was so glad to hear that you had a good day; it MUST be a good omen of good things to come. and something positive to reflect on in days and weeks ahead. We will all be thinking of you and your family, especially your Nana. Thank you for keeping us all informed. Love, Kelly B.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/11/2005 12:38 PM  

Good luck today, my friend. You've been in my thoughts.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/11/2005 12:58 PM  

Jen,

Good luck with your chemo today. Sorry I've been incognito for a few days. Last week was hectic and then I tried to log on last Friday, but the blog site was down ...anyways, I couldn't get in.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/11/2005 4:16 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home