jenny's belly

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Love/Hate Food

Reflux woke me up this morning. ARRRGHGHGHGH!!!

It's been almost two months since they cut out my stomach and got rid of that flap in my esophagus that kept things I eat in my stomach. I *still* haven't figured out how to stop the acid reflux. Worse, when it wakes me up, it's because the acid has moved into my lungs. DISGUSTING! And no one can seem to stop it. I'm on two different meds for it and they're helping but about 75% accurate.

I can't tell you how depressing it is.

If you've been following my blog you've seen this "I have reflux" post a billion times. But it's torture, I can't stop myself from writing about it. I'm going to ask my oncologist if he can up the prescription from 6 to 4 hours, or maybe let me take more than 2 teaspoons at a time.

I had no cancer symptoms few months ago. Not even a wee bit of heartburn. And now I can't eat certain foods because they'll turn my 1/4 belly inside out and I should eat things I don't like, such as beans. YUCK. I mean, as soon as I'm told I shouldn't eat tomato things, that's all I want. Tomato soup? Salsa? Spaghetti? Yes, please! Oh wait, no. I guess not. Sigh.

To avoid reflux, I'm supposed to stay away from chocolate, citrus, onions, garlic, peppers... basically anything which gives anything else any flavor. :) hehehe. And heading into chemo I should eat more peanut butter, cheese, fish, oh-- here's my favorite: there's a carnation instant breakfast "HIGH CALORIE" version which can only be specially ordered by nutritionists which I'm supposed to have. And I'm supposed to choose "regular" over "reduced fat" things. How funny! It seems unnatural.

4 comment(s):

Write about your reflux all you want to. lolol

As for the diet, do NOT eat red meat unless it's cold and that high calorie cereal is NASTY. They might mention those high calorie drinks called BOOST. Those can help if you don't like the cereal. Neither of them really taste good. lol You can keep some weight on with peanut butter and ice cream though! :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/08/2005 10:50 PM  

Uggh!

Amazing isn't it? Except for when she was first diagnosed, Lori has never suffered any symptoms of her cancer itself, but she sure has suffered from the side-effects of her treatment.

Hate that crap :(

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/08/2005 11:47 PM  

Aeryn, I already found Boost is GROSS! My mother bought me some and kept trying to add things to make it better. There's no disguising that taste. :) I don't eat red meat so I'm hoping they don't push it.

I have no appetite now and I'm preparing myself for the "don't eat hot food" concept you told me about. All I want to eat (in a non-cracker category) is oatmeal and soup.

Lis, did you see what Aeryn wrote? Friendly's peanut butter cup sundaes are *good* for me! hehehe

By Blogger Jen, at 10/08/2005 11:51 PM  

"chocolate, citrus, onions, garlic, peppers" . . . seriously, this may be the evidence that there is no god! What else is there? I'm sorry this is getting you down. It is a lot of crap to deal with. I hope you get some reflux relief soon. Take care.

By Blogger Unknown, at 10/09/2005 12:59 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home