jenny's belly

Monday, October 03, 2005

Drugs and Tea

So I picked up three new prescriptions for my medicine basket. Some more oxycodone, an antibiotic, and something the nurse called a slurry (which has negative connotations for me, but I hear is good stuff).

My arm is still bothering me so I got a refill on the oxycodone. The port-a-cath site is getting infected because I had an allergic reaction to the clear cellophane crap hospitals use sometimes so they don't waste a band-aid. And then the slurry, or "Carafate suspension", is to help with the acid reflux. It truly is a suspension though because I can see it separating in the bottle like a trifle. I hope it tastes like a trifle.

Stupid reflux woke me up coughing this morning. Then my coughing woke up my mother. After the reflux and coughing went away, she and I split a raisin scone my aunt Karen picked up at a bakery yesterday. Yummy. :)

I had a pretty easy day at Dana Farber today. I met with Dr. Bhargava's nurse, Nina. STILL no news from the biopsy done last week. See, in order to start the chemo study I've signed up for, the cancer has to be gone. This study is to see what drugs best lead to a cure after surgery cuts it all out. If I have cancer still I'll have to get different treatment. Either way, I'm going to be okay because I'll get what is best for me.

I also met with Tara, my nutritionist. She is the first nutritionist I've met who is actually down to earth. She didn't even try to give me the old "balanced diet" stuff I've heard a billion times. I learned from Nina that I'm on my way back to anemia, and was able to tell Tara so it's on her radar. I guess my hemoglobin counts should be between 12 and 16 and I'm at 11. Not really low, but something they have to watch, especially since I haven't even STARTED chemo yet. It explains part of why I'm so tired. But I'm also not using the cpap machine for my sleep apnea (doctors orders) so that will add to my sleepiness too. zzzz

ANYWAY, Tara said I can ignore the special diet for cancer patients and ignore the special diet for celiacs and ignore the special diet for people with little stomachs, etc etc. I can just focus on eating proteins (mom was right!) and avoiding foods likely to give me reflux. But then tea is on that list and I'm living on tea. She said hey, then stick with what's working. Isn't she great? She was glad I came to her early, before I'm feeling sick. Most people ask to see her when they're losing 10 pounds a week. Which sounds great, but if you're losing that much a week, you are S-I-C-K.

Speaking of which, I've seen lots of people with cancer in the past few months (obviously) but I saw the first one today who was younger than I am and looked like she probably won't make it. She was too thin, FORCING herself to cough to the point of gagging, and had deep, sunken eyes. She looked absolutely terrible. I was kind of frightened of her, which was an embarrassing reaction to have. But I think it was her cough that put me off, not the way she looked. I'm the queen of deep-lung "I wish I could stop because this is scaring people" coughs (I've had bronchitis a billion times) and know well that she was making herself cough. I just don't know why. Maybe it felt better?

I'm guessing chemo will start next Monday. Once I know which chemo mix I'll be getting I know I'll feel better. The uncertainty of it is making me really anxious. Just ask my mom. :)

I'm going to drop off my bracelet at the jeweler tomorrow so the charms can be attached. I know there are still some on their way and do plan to bring the bracelet back to the jeweler later.

Oh, my tea favorites (and therefore recommendations) are Constant Comment (regular and decaf), Courtship, Orange Spice, Lady Londonderry, and Buckingham Palace Garden Party.

6 comment(s):

have you tried the teas from Whittard? If so I would be intereste in your opinions

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/04/2005 9:51 AM  

How about Tealuxe?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/04/2005 10:33 AM  

Jen-
Tealuxe is AWESOME! I last visited them in Harvard Square (and order from them on-line), but they now have locations on Newbury St. and in Providence, in case you are up for a field trip (www.tealuxe.com).

Also, I would stop advertising what is in your 'drug basket', as your parents may soon have to deal with drive-by's to steal the 'goods'... (smile!)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/04/2005 11:30 AM  

Jennifer - Thanks for being such a good blogger. I log on pretty frequently... Good luck with this next phase in your recovery. It sounds like you have a really great team behind you!

-Weiyen

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/04/2005 12:28 PM  

I've never tried Whittard, can you recommend any? I just checked out their site and Orange Blossom sounds wonderful! :)

I love Tealuxe! that's where I've gotten the Lady Londonderry and BP Garden Party (among many others). I was even on their site last night and asked my dad to pick up some new ones I noticed. I like that you can get cheap little bags that brew a pot or two without spending a fortune on yucky tea.

Several years ago I bought my parents a "Mrs. Tea" since I loved mine so much. I don't think Mr. Coffee makes them anymore but they should! It brews loose tea leaves in about 4 minutes using really hot water. I've never had a bad pot (too strong, too weak) but sometimes I just don't want that much tea for myself. Then I use the infuser thing. I have a tea ball and a tea spoon infuser. :)

I love love love love tea and am happy to meet anyone at anytime for afternoon tea!! :) That would be fun to meet up in Providence!

And are my Mercer friends free for lunch anytime this week??

By Blogger Jen, at 10/04/2005 1:34 PM  

Hi! I have been keeping updated and enjoyed seeing your charms. I was wondering if you are a Red Sox fan? My husband and I are huge fans - the game today stank. Anyway, I also wanted to mention that my 3 year old's doctors want to do some biopsies on him to see if he has celiac disorder/disease. I do not know much about it, but remembered seeing you had written a little about it. Your blog had more information about it than his doctors told me. Thanks. You are in my thoughts and prayers, as your story has really touched me. Here is a link to one of my blogs if you ever want to see some pictures. http://spaces.msn.com/members/tootenderknees/
Here is my personal blog: http://parkerfamily8.blogspot.com/

By Blogger Lynna Kay, at 10/04/2005 7:14 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home