jenny's belly

Monday, September 26, 2005

Back from Surgery

"Are you right- or left-handed?" the check-in nurse lady asks me. And I get it now. My hospital ID band is now on my right wrist guaranteeing that I'll never be able to take the damn thing off. I have to CUT it off but I can't because I need my right hand to work the right-handed scissors... GREAT! I'll just leave it, that way I don't have to get a new one tomorrow. :)

I'm back from the surgery (obviously) and doing okay. I'm on hard drugs again (whee!) and completely exhausted but otherwise feel like perhaps I tried to lift a small house with just my left arm. Like a muscle pull or strain. I don't care to know how it feels without being medicated, though!

The anesthesiologist said he'd put me into a "who cares what's going on" state and I asked to be knocked out. He said he talked to me in the middle of surgery to see how I was doing, and I said "Well, I'd like to be more asleep." What a smart ass. :)

I have a gauze pad over the incision but it's quite small. Less than 2 inches long and on my shoulder exactly where my arm connects to my body. The cool thing is that they will use this port thing to give me drugs but also to take blood. No more sticking me in the arms! Um, except probably tomorrow when I have the endoscopy.

Can I just say how annoying model Naomi Campbell is? I just want to get that off my chest. Hateful woman.

I wasn't even nervous for this surgery, nor am I worried about tomorrow. And remember what I said about leaving my dignity at the door? They pulled my hospital gown down to my stomach scar while I was still awake. And I'm in a room full of men and women who I've never met.. And I didn't even care. Granted, I'd had lots of drugs by then *and* it was a hospital setting (it wasn't exactly Chili's or TGI Fridays) but STILL!

I'm supposed to make a quiche for myself for dinner and just don't have the energy. I want to go lie down but feel bad that my mother already does so much for me. Maybe I'll just start the thing so she can tell I put some effort into it. Here's hoping I don't put sugar or dog food in it! :)

5 comment(s):

Oh Jen! I am so glad that today went so well. We thought of you all day and will be thinking of you again tomorrow as well. Kelly B.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/26/2005 6:50 PM  

Hey-- no bad-mouthing the mac on this blog missy!
:)

By Blogger Jen, at 9/26/2005 8:27 PM  

Jen - I am so relieved today is over and will be even happier when tomorrow is over. Keep those drugs going - hey, who knows, maybe you'll even be able to sleep tonight. My thoughts and prayers will be with you again tomorrow. xoAunt El

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/26/2005 9:06 PM  

Jen
Your posts are such an inspiration and I think it is incredible you have been able to find the where-with-all to keep a blog. Thanks for sharing the charm pics. It is really neat to see the symbols people have picked out.
Good luck tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you.
Linda C

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/26/2005 10:03 PM  

I was thinking of you ALL day yesterday. I'm glad it seems to have gone smoothly . . at least in the sense that it's over. I can definitely appreciation your enthusiasm for them being able to take blood and such from that spot so they can stop poking you with more needles. That'll be a nice little benefit.
Hope today (Tues) goes smoothly for you too.

Love
Jenn Crane

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/27/2005 8:46 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home