jenny's belly

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Night Before Surgery (again!)

As soon as you tell me I can't eat anything after midnight, all I can think about is eating. I'm watching the clock like I'm taking a timed test: "Oh no, only an hour left!!" I'm actually not hungry (as usual) but afraid I'll have reflux in the morning as a result of an empty stomach... so I'm enjoying a bit of salad and my beloved oyster crackers.

So it's official... I've moved back to my parents house. Sure, I've slept here every night since the cancer diagnosis in late-July, but I didn't really LIVE here. Well, my box-spring and mattress arrived today. My dad, a neighbor and my brother's best friend moved them from my condo. And they set it in my old room instead of Jeff's room (Yay! The paint I picked out! The light fixtures I picked out! The view I picked out!). I miss having my actual BED though (it's a canopy and I love it). It's going to be weird to sleep in my own bed after soooooo long, though. I probably won't sleep well. :)

I can't eat after midnight because I'm having the port-a-cath put in tomorrow morning at 11am. I have to be at the hospital at 9:30 but if day surgery works like inpatient surgery I won't wait around much. A lot of the time is for me to change and get all comfy on my hospital bed. "Take off your street clothes and put this shower-cap thingy and gown on. When you're ready, place your dignity in this plastic bag and throw it away."

Anyway, I'll be home tomorrow night so it won't be too bad. I have to plan to sleep on my right side tonight because there is NO WAY I'll be doing that for awhile after tomorrow! (Unlike days of old, port-a-cath is put in the front shoulder area instead of inner arm.)

I'm not sure how I'll feel after the surgery... Lisa offered to post for me so you'll hear from one of us tomorrow. I'm guessing I won't want to type as my right arm will be out of commission for a few days. :)

5 comment(s):

Jen, have a good day today. The cath insert should be a breeze after what you've been through...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/26/2005 12:39 AM  

Hi Jen!
I just wanted you to know that I'll be thinking of you today!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/26/2005 5:19 AM  

Jen: Good luck today.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/26/2005 7:49 AM  

Jen-
Lots of luck and I hope for little discomfort today.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/26/2005 8:28 AM  

Hey Jen,

I suspect we crossed paths today! I was in for my yearly visit. I'm happy to say I'm apparently healthy and free for another year, assuming nothing unexpected happens.

I hope the cath process goes smoothly for you. I can't wait until you get to the world of once a year check-ups. Maybe be can schedule them for the same time and meet for tea afterwards....

By the way, do you still have any interest in coming in for lunch with your Mercer pals one of these days? Let us know.

D

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/26/2005 11:41 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home