jenny's belly

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

My Left Shoulder

I drove again, but this time it was just a lawn mower. It hurt so I didn't do the whole lawn. It's kind of nice to do something productive in a day otherwise filled with naps. That's right--plural. Naps.

I took the gauze off my port-a-cath site and it looks okay though my shoulder and arm are still really sore. The blood at the bottom (just under the skin) is because they drew blood to make sure they had put the thing in correctly. Hopefully it won't leave that kind of mark each time they use it. The white stuff is just a few steri-strips which will probably fall off next week. I'd personally prefer something a bit more sturdy like stitches but they didn't ask me. :)

I've got a dentist appointment tomorrow (great!) and then friday is the CT scan. I'm going to call Dana Farber to find out if they have any idea what my chemo medicine mix is going to be. If they had to delay putting me in the "decision-making computer" because of my inconclusive CT scan from last week I probably won't start chemo on monday.

ARGHHH the port-a-cath site is ITCHY!!!!

4 comment(s):

I won't lie, that looks painful. But from that picture it'd difficult to make out the "plug." I pictured it to be a plastic whosamabop that they would plug in into? Is that the dark purple looking spot?

Glad you are staying away from driving on the road again for a little while. That last blog was scarey.

Take a good pill for me today!

Love ya

Jenn CRane

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/29/2005 10:52 AM  

More importantly, is the plug grouned? If it doesn't have three prongs then I'd say Dana Farber is skimping on their technologoy. You also might want to invest in one of those surge protecters they have for computers. Last thing we need is a power spike and then Jen reboots....

And thank you to Lisa for agreeing that I should be an MD at this point. I keep making that argument but the other doctors just laugh at me as security drags me away. Makes me so angry I just want to punch someone right in the mouth. ...Someone whose unconscious.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/29/2005 2:06 PM  

I recently had my port-a-cath removed. Did they show you what it looked like before they put one in? It's the freakiest thing I have ever seen. lolol

If you wanna see one, just let me know. I have pictures. lolol

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/01/2005 2:35 AM  

Aeryn, they showed me what it looked like when I was in recovery. EEEWWW. And I'm having an alergic reaction to something and the skin in the area is all gross. ARGGH!! Can *nothing* be easy? :)

Jenn C, they actually (are you ready?) made a pocket in my muscle, put this thing inside, then "blanket stitched" it closed... and then they close the skin on top. So they'll have to numb the area each time they need to use it, but it's a larger surface area with guarranteed precision into a vein. The idea of jabbing my shoulder seems horrible right now, but I guess it will stop hurting soon. I mean, it hasn't even been a full week after surgery. Sorry you asked now, aren't you!! :)

By Blogger Jen, at 10/02/2005 12:20 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home