jenny's belly

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Feeling Better!

I thought I was sick for a month but it was really only two weeks. I'm finally able to stop going in for fluids. Tomorrow will be the first time without an appointment!

I'm really doing much, much better. I think I'll be nauseous for the next few years but it's not the chemo making me extra sick anymore. I have more energy and I'm even sleeping through the night most nights. It's been really great. :)

I'll meet with an oncologist on weds (mine is still on vacation!) and then I have the appointments for radiation thursday (for "films") but that's it for the week.

When I first walk into Dana Farber I head to the 11th floor because that's where all the Gastro-intestinal doctors are. I have to show my "blue card" to check in which they use to make a hospital bracelet. I'm handed a bunch of paperwork which I have to bring across the hall. Eventually I'm called to do "vitals". They weigh me, take my temperature, check my pulse, and take my blood pressure. Then I have to go back to the waiting room until a room opens up. They call me again and then I wait for my doctor (or nurse) to arrive. The great thing about this is that they will sit and talk to me for three hours if I need it. There is no feeling of being rushed like at a normal doctors office (where you know you only have 10 minutes of their time).

Each time I have chemo I have to go through the same thing, except once I'm called I have vitals checked and then I'm shown to my chair. I actually love it when they give me a hospital bed instead. The chairs are somewhat comfortable but the bed is so much better.

So November 7 my doctor will *finally* be back from vacation and I think I have the first appointment on his schedule. I'll have blood taken before I meet with him (they do this once a week to make sure my body is dealing with everything okay. If things were completely out of whack they'd either give me fluids, meds, or have to delay chemo). I'm getting my chemo pump after I see him. Chemotherapy drugs will be pumped into my body 24/7. I'd like to know how I'm supposed to shower with this thing, but I guess I'll figure it out. Each monday I meet with my doctor anyway, and that will be the day I get a new bag of chemicals. And later on monday I'll head to Brigham & Womens for my radiation.

Yipee!

7 comment(s):

Wow, I also go to the 11th floor. Apparently, that's where they take all the really cool people!

Everyone here at Mercer is really glad to hear you're doing better, Jen.

Keep hangin' in there! (Like you have any choice, right?) Every day is another day closer to putting this all behind you...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/31/2005 9:05 AM  

...and, by the way, that last message was from me, Dan...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/31/2005 9:05 AM  

HAPPY HALLOWEEN to you! Definately get the Craftmatic bed! One of my aunts in Florida has the bed and loves it! My aunt purchased the 'cadillac' (AKA most expensive) of the beds. Hers has heat AND massage. Whoo-Hoo!

Keep up the progress and I'm so glad that you are feeling better. :-)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/31/2005 10:02 AM  

Jen-

So glad to know that you are feeling better. I hope we can get together some time soon. We must see Desiree's *bump*!! Lots of love...Kelli

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/31/2005 10:19 AM  

I am so glad you are feeling better! That's great! :)

I never got a bed. I always got a crappy recliner. :(

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/01/2005 6:01 AM  

It sounds like a pretty busy cancer schedule. 24/7 of chemo must be boring, but I must say that chemo administrated like that, works a LOT!!! I'm glad you're feeling better. So... you'll be staying at the "Cool people cancer's floor" at the "Anti-Cancer Hotel" haha :) well they better treat you decent. And as Aeryn, I too never got a bed. I did like 2 times, and now I get the recliner, it's just me, always wanting to be the STRONG OUTPATIENT, so outpatients really have to use stupid recliners...

Any ways, let us know how the "trip" goes...
hang in there~

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/01/2005 10:17 AM  

Thinking of you...

Minerva

By Blogger Minerva, at 11/01/2005 1:34 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home