jenny's belly

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Pity Party

My mother just went to bed as I was getting up. We're becoming weird people (well, more strange than usual). The dogs are exhausted ("Don't you people sleep?"). I kind of sleep whenever I want. I have very little energy which is upsetting because this is my "I feel good" time. I've got this on the calendar as chemo-free and time when I can do things and... my body is still reminding me it had poison pumped into it recently.

I had a little Jen pity-party this evening, and I'm glad only my mom had to attend. I didn't fall apart or anything, but I had that realization that I have stuffed far, far back in my brain pop out again: I'm only 30 and should be out having fun like other 30 year olds. Having drinks with friends, laughing too loud, thinking about my career and where I'm headed in life. I'm on such a diverted path, and when I think about it it's very depressing. I just sit at the kitchen counter with my shoulders hunched down and my face resting on my wrist. And my mom just *knows* as moms do that something isn't right. And I have this position a lot now so it could be anything from tired to nausea to self-pity.

Basically, I woke up from my afternoon nap deciding my quality of life sucks. A shopping trip for me now means one store and I've got to take a nap right afterwards. I can't eat anything without it hurting. I've discovered I can't eat chocolate--at all. The steel shards in my stomach aren't worth it.

I can't even sleep normally. I'm up early now because I couldn't get my pillows right. I love getting clean sheets each week but it seriously disrupts the pillow barrier wall and ramp system that takes me days to construct. Too tall and I'm at a 45 degree angle, too low and I'll get reflux. I just gave up. I didn't go to bed tonight until 1:00am so I really just took a nap.

And I saw pink tic tacs in 7-11 this evening. That's right, breath mints to beat breast cancer. UGH. Why can't these companies just donate the money? Why must they make it seem like they're actually going to track how many pink tic tac boxes were purchased?

2 comment(s):

Jen, I can't imagine how frustrating that must have felt. The road block to your life on top of feeling so lousy physically. You know we all hope that this is holding pattern is over soon for you, but when you have to give up everything else just to focus on getting better, it must be overwhelming. Here's hoping that you start to feel stronger and are able to battle the sleep issues. and I hadn't had itme to post, but God bless that woman who treated your mom to the pedicure. An unexpected act of kindness like that between strangers just really warms the heart. It must have made her feel as wonderful as it did your mom.

Kath

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/22/2005 8:09 PM  

It is crap, isn't it? I so feel the same and I am old compared with you...

Let's have our own pity party darling... You get the drinks and I'll get the food..Oops we can't because of chemo...DAMN this thing...but tomorrow, you know what? You will feel slowly better and this whole roller coaster will start to rise...
We will get through this, and we will be out there dating, drinking and having fun and we will be out there, knowing that we came face to face with an awful monster and lived...

I am with you....

Minerva

By Blogger Minerva, at 10/23/2005 5:35 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home