jenny's belly

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

So What's It Like?

I met with my oncologist first thing this morning, which won't be the usual protocol. We talked again about the CT scan and how the guy goofed reading it, and how the endoscopy results came back looking good. He did a mini physical and gave me more prescriptions (ye-haw!). One is to help with any chemo-related nausea and one is for the possible (ugh) fungus in my stomach as seen by the endoscopy biopsies. If this med doesn't work (and I doubt it will) he's going to hook me up with a gastroenterologist. And I have to go back to see my surgeon, Dr. Osteen, but right now he's bicycling in France. I laughed out loud when Dr. Bhargava told me that. I can picture MYSELF bicycling in France right NOW more than I can Dr. Osteen. But I digress...

I met with the study nurse for a few moments, really just so we could iron out my future appointments. I was warned that it was a "ZOO" in the infusion lab.

I was sent down to check in for chemotherapy at about 11:00.

At noon they called me to have blood drawn. Since I have a port-a-cath, I knew they were going to jab me in the chest and not the arm. The area is still sore so I was trying not to be a wreck about it. My chemo nurse, Christin, noted that I still have fluid due to general muscle trauma, but I was glad since she was extra cautious. She sprayed my shoulder with lidocaine to numb the area and put an IV in. In fact, it's still in. Rather uncomfortable if I do say so.

After taking blood I was sent back to wait for my timeslot. The floor was so full of people you'd think they were giving something GOOD away. The waiting room was overflowing and people were standing beyond the check-in area into the elevator banks. INSANE. They didn't come to get me until 2:00pm.

I followed an aide past rows and rows of people in cushy teal blue 'pleather' chairs which could recline into a bed. Nearly everyone had mauve blankets across their laps as if they had been there for days.

The floor is set up a lot like a hospital unit with privacy curtains which can be drawn across, and two bed-chairs to a side, but it's much more compact than a hospital room and not separated into traditional "rooms" but rather "pods" with walls but no doors.

I was seated in my designated chair and waited nervously for Christin to arrive. She spoke to me for a few minutes about how long the procedure would be, chatted with my mother, and disappeared with a "I'll go get your meds" just as my nutritionist Tara arrived. I was able to tell Tara I'd done slightly better with the new meds and was trying to stay away from the things she told me to avoid.

Christin returned with a blue smock over her white jacket as though she was preparing for surgery. This was unexpected and a bit frightening, but I could see she wasn't carrying much. She drew some more blood then connected me to a saline drip. The blood draw doesn't hurt but the saline DOES since it's literally adding salt to a wound.

Most people had chemotherapy meds in IV bags on a drip like my saline. But my chemo meds were in syringes. I only get a little bit since I'm going to get it for 5 days straight. It was actually very quick and we were out of the hospital by 3:00pm.

I mentioned I still have the IV in, which makes sense-- tomorrow they can just hook me back up again without having to jab me. All I can think of is the scene in Pulp Fiction when John Travolta has to jab Uma Thurman in the chest with a needle to re-start her heart. It wasn't that violent (obviously) but it's really my primary thought.

Anyway, I return for chemo every morning tomorrow through saturday and then I'm finished for 3 weeks. I'll just go in on monday mornings to meet with Nina (Dr. Bharvaga's nurse) who will make sure my fluids, blood counts, etc are okay and that I'm coping well with everything.

I think Jeanette mentioned in a comment on my prior post that it's almost like the chemo and radiation are set up to destroy your body and YOU have to be STRONGER than it is. I really feel that this is true. I'm sure the chemo is killing all kinds of stuff inside me already, and not all of it is bad. Or at best, almost none of it is bad. Lots of good cells are being knocked off as innocent bystanders, but nutrition, rest, and a positive outlook will help build me back up again! :)

Nana Update: I visited her today as part of my grand hospital tour. She is doing well- her heartbeat has been stabilized, as has her blood pressure. They are talking about giving her a stress test tomorrow and letting her go home if she passes. I just hope the stress test she takes is different from the ones I've done (running on a treadmill... my grandmother is 81!) :)

8 comment(s):

Wow! Your chemo place sounds just like mine! Right down to the ugly pleather chairs and even the blanket colors! I wonder if it's the same everywhere? lol

Well, it sounds like your day went by without any troubles. That's GREAT! My chemo was on a drip so my treatments took 4-5 hours. What a drag.

Rest and stay positive! This cancer doesn't stand a chance. lol

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/11/2005 11:53 PM  

One day down, four to go. (Maybe it's because of the kids- I always find count downs helpful. It seems like a positive outlook on what has been accomplished and what lies ahead. Do you remember making the paper ring chains and ripping a ring off each day in count down to Christmas? Perhaps a chemo paper ring countdown chain? ) I am glad to hear both that you survived the first day and that your Nana is doing better. It must have been a relief to get to see her! We will all keep thinking positive thoughts for you all! Love, Kelly B.

P.S. the paper chain could just be plain white computer paper- simple but elegant. . .

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/12/2005 7:01 AM  

I bet your Nana can take on that treadmill and win!!! I'm torn about the fact you've started chemo. It is GREAT that chemo will get rid of any cancer cells that may be left, but it is BAD that you have to face additional pain (Saline...ouch!!!). You are an inspiration as you are staying strong all through this and are wiling to bare your soul to the world. When this is over (and I really belive it will be over), you should write a book. Doesn't your dad work in publishing...:) Have a great day 2!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/12/2005 8:52 AM  

Jen: You know how the saying goes, "If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger". You have been amazing in your recovery and battle with this thing and with strength, perseverence and the knowledge that this will all be just a bad memory some day, you will get you through this and more in life.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/12/2005 11:51 AM  

I think it was Lisa that spoke about people telling her their awful Cancer stories. Well, I got a positive one yesterday. Someone I work with was diagnosed with Leukemia, went through Chemo (7 days straight in the hospital-4 rounds, very aggressive), had a bone marrow transplant and has been in remission since 1999. Totally different kind of Cancer, but an uplifting story regardless. In talking with him, he said it definitely makes you stronger and it gives you a whole new outlook on life.

He told me it was very helpful (cathartic actually)to keep a journal. This blog has definitely been like a journal. I'm sure there are things that you don't want to share with everyone else though and imagine you've got some outlet for those thoughts already. I'm with Desiree, a book would be a great idea when this is finally over (and we do mean over!!)

Thank you for sharing all of this with us. As Desiree said, you truly are an inspiration.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/12/2005 12:08 PM  

"nutrition, rest, and a positive outlook will help build me back up again"...

Only one thing to add to this very important list... Support of family and friends!

You're 4 for 4, Jen. Battin' 1000!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/12/2005 5:57 PM  

Hi Jen! It bears repeating...you are definately an inspiration. Reading your blog has given me tremendous strength and insight into some health issues. You have inspired me to be more positive and focus on all the blessings in my life. Thank you!
Lynna Kay in Florida
http://parkerfamily8.blogspot.com
blessedanonymity@gmail.com

By Blogger Lynna Kay, at 10/12/2005 11:53 PM  

Jenny,
geez... I don't know what to say. Your situation sounds far worse than mine. If you can I can!

Funny my infusion site sounds like the exact same lay out, blankets and all. I have been going at this for 3 years now... I've grown quite accustomed to those beige warm blankets, in fact I demand them like a child would demand its blankey.LOL

I am so sorry for all your pain, physical and mental. Its simply not fair.

Your not alone!!!

By Blogger Lori Miller, at 10/16/2005 1:57 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home