jenny's belly

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Pedicures

I went back to Dana Farber for fluids and an IV version of Zofran today (great stuff, better than pill version because it's three times as strong, wheee!) but I'm hopeful I'll be able to cancel friday's appointment. I don't have much of a spine though so if my mother tells me to go, I'm going without a fight.

When I was in Dana Farber last week I saw two nuns, one in the chemo chair and one in the guest chair. I'm not sure why I thought maybe nuns don't get cancer, but it took me back a bit. These were not black-habit nuns either, they appeared more franciscan to me as they had natural fabrics in earth-like colors and their belts were hand-knotted ropes which swept the floor when they walked. They were in good spirits though the lady receiving chemo was either a bit forgetful or had a nice case of chemobrain.

Anyway, it really gave me pause.

Speaking of drugs, I'm feeling sooooo much better. I even ventured out today to a non-hospital location! My mom and I got pedicures (mine was really, really needed and borderline embarrasing). Mom was telling the lady giving her a pedicure that no, she isn't working anymore because she's been taking care of her sick daughter. She described it very quickly, just left it at stomach cancer and said we were out today because it was a beautiful day and I was feeling okay. Maybe a half an hour later, a woman who had been there the whole time got up to leave, and she hoped that my mother didn't take it the wrong way, but felt my mom could use a little gift. And she paid for my mother's pedicure. I really think it took everything in my mom not to burst into tears. She was just barely holding it together. "How did you know?" "I could hear you telling Rose over there. You deserve it." Just a complete stranger doing an act of kindness for my mom. How very sweet! Thanks again whoever you are!

I try to do little things for my parents but it's tough being drugged up and unable to do the things I want to do. I've taken them out for breakfast and bought pizza and found a book my dad likes and a pretty ornament for my mom... I've gotten over my panic of "I'll never be able to repay X for Y." I look at it that I will definitely give along the line of my life, and when someone deserves to have a pedicure paid for, or a flat tire fixed, or whatever the case may be...that will be me picking up the check. :)

And yes, I was going to pay for my mom's pedicure. :)

(Note to Aunt Jo, I'm eating popcorn right now!)

6 comment(s):

What a wonderful person. It's so nice to hear stories about generous, thoughtful, caring strangers. Amazing, too, how a random act of kindness by a stranger can help restore such faith in people. :o)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/19/2005 4:22 PM  

BTW - I'm really glad you were feeling so well today. You deserve some pampering!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/19/2005 4:23 PM  

Lovely to hear that story... - stories like that make me weep - part of chemo brain perhaps or cancer gratitude?

Minerva

By Blogger Minerva, at 10/19/2005 6:51 PM  

Oh Jen...Sorry to hear that you felt so poorly after the first round of chemo. I am glad the IV zofran worked- it is a great anti-emitic. (As a nurse, one of my favorites because it usually works!) I hope they get all your meds straightened out and that you continue to feel better. I was also glad to hear that you were able to get pampered yesterday as was your mom.

What a wonderful thing that lady did for you and your mom; a little angel on earth to uplift your spirits. . . Perhaps the "worm has turned now" and things will start to look up. (I never quite understood that expression. . . )

I believe the darkest hour is just before dawn so maybe you will start to see a little sun now? I hope you continue to have good days ahead, rest and build up your strength! (I know eaiser said then done.)

Continue to take care Jen! Love, Kelly B.

P.S. I apologize now for the scattered nature of my comment. I have been quite sleep deprived this week and it shows. Sorry!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/20/2005 5:58 AM  

Nice story!! That woman probably floated out of the salon on a cloud after that...proves that there are still good people in the world!!

Please continue to get out and enjoy the sunshine on the nice days and I'm glad you are feeling a bit better.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/20/2005 8:42 AM  

Jen:
I've kept ALL the stories you've written from all the trips to N.Y., Green Beret Stations, etc. but this "Jenny's Belly" is too long for me to print out. The printer would be running for days. When you get out of this you are going to have to publish it in book form. I know a guy who already published a book.

Nana's already ordering me around.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/20/2005 4:23 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home