jenny's belly

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Joys of Dehydration

I wasn't feeling well last night about an hour into watching Psycho. I was having a good time and wanted to watch the movie but was just restless and completely uncomfortable.

I sat on the floor. I walked around the dining room table for awhile. I contemplated going outside in the torrential downpour. I eventually settled behind the love seat on my knees peaking over the cushions.

And then I blacked out.

It was quick and I knew what was going on, and was able to fight it off, but I lost sight, hearing and strength momentarily. I promised I was okay, my mom quickly confirmed I didn't have a temperature and I insisted Dana Farber did not need to be called. Still, I was weak the rest of the night and woke up much the same way this morning.

My handwriting wasn't right this morning, unfamiliar to me. And I like to hand-make my cards when possible--it took me 3 hours to make two. I was slow and unsteady. Someone probably should have taken away my scissors.

It occurred to me about noon that I was dehydrated again.

I drink gatorade like I own the company. I have decaf tea. I have breakfast shakes. I have this problem where everything I eat goes right through me. Graphic, yes, but I'm being honest. I KNOW it's the chemo still doing it's lovely thing. But I don't eat enough as it is and then to have THIS issue on top of it is miserable. And I've found common meds push me to the other side of the spectrum, which is just as miserable.

I made some calls and was able to get an infusion on a Sunday afternoon. I use the word "infusion" like everyone knows what it means, but it's just a 5% dextrose and sodium chloride solution. Sugar and salt. Sweet and sour. Virgin Margarita. :)

My dad wouldn't sit in the chemo chair next to me even though we had a wing to ourselves. He looked really uncomfortable and per my mom their guest chairs ARE uncomfortable. Maybe it was too creepy? Anyway, they only had time to give me a liter but I definitely felt better. The fact I can type now definitely says it works. But then I started to feel sick on the drive home. Oh what NOW!??!

I don't get reflux much anymore (yay!) because the meds I'm on are working very well but I do actually throw up stomach acid sometimes. And that's all that happened when I got home so I forced myself to eat toast with peanut butter. How I loathe eating.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to need the every-other-day infusion next month when I'm going in for radiation. I don't see how I'll be doing *better* then, I might as well book the appointments now. I don't have a date yet for Chemo Part Deux but know that I go radioactive November 3.

I've asked my mom to sew up a cozy for my box of Sunshine Krispy Oyster Crackers because I'm afraid of injury from carrying the box from room to room to car... And I only have 1/4 of a box left! We MUST go to the store tomorrow.

3 comment(s):

Oh jeez...Jenny,
Just what you need, dehydration..but you so manage to explain it so well..

Eating is horrid isn't it? And the way one's parents get so worried when one doesn't..*sigh*

The more you eat though, the better your strength..and would I lie to you?

*hugs*

Minerva

By Blogger Minerva, at 10/25/2005 7:23 PM  

[...] Jen, the author of "Jenny’s Belly" was diagnosed with stomach cancer on July, 2005. Being under treatment might be easy to take but awful to stand. [...]

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/01/2005 12:05 PM  

A cozy for your box of Sunshine Krispy Oyster Crackers would be awesome! :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/02/2005 11:58 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home