jenny's belly

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Paging Doctor Jerk

I have to meet with my substitute oncologist tomorrow morning. My doctor is STILL on vacation (ARRRGHGHHG) and so I'm meeting with another doctor. He's quite arrogant and I'm not very fond of him. He told me I'd have to "suck it up" and just deal with the fact that I have to have chemo & radiation at the same time. My mom didn't hear him say it, which is good because he would have become the SECOND doctor whom she's threatened.

Did I mention the first doctor who didn't return pages from the hospital on my behalf? Yeah, he had turned his pager off. Off!! Mom told my nurse Nina that she would step on his neck if she ever met him. Who turns their pager off when they're on call?!? We've gotten lots of apology phone calls and the head of the GI department stopped in during my last office visit to apologize in person. Very nice guy and decent of him to do that.

Mr. Anti-pager is the doctor who I was *supposed* to see in my doctor's absence but for obvious reasons I wanted a different oncologist. Dr. Bhargava is going to be back Monday and I have an 8:30 appointment to see him. That has to be his first appointment of the day. I wonder if we caused enough trouble that they bumped people for me. Hey, you have to be an advocate for yourself!

Anyway, I had a bad day today (lots of cookie tossing) but tomorrow is a new day!

6 comment(s):

One of my doctors is an arse like that. Tells me to stop crying and being a baby. I REALLY don't like him but he's the only one I could see. :(

I had my radiation and chemo treatments at the same time. I wasn't fun, but just think about how the radiation can give the chemo an extra push and make it stronger! Think of all of those cancer cells being choked to death. :)

As for the cookie tossing, I COMPLETELY know how you feel. lolol Just go easy and choose what you eat wisely. I tried to just eat normally and that was so wrong. lol Let's just say that I still can't eat hot dogs. :-x

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/01/2005 11:13 PM  

Sorry to hear that the substitute doctor is such a jerk; that certainly does NOT help matters any! I hope today is a better day for you and that you have a few days or even weeks of reprieve (of feeling well) before the dual treatment starts. I like Aeryn's philosophy; thinking of all the cancer cells being choked to death! Some therapeutic imagery combined with the chemo and radiation can't hurt. Take care Jen! Love, Kelly B.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/02/2005 8:45 AM  

When I worked at Fido in Training & Development, I taught a customer service class. Just let me know if you want me to schedule a session for those doctors...

And they are supposed to be professionals! Give 'em hell, Jen. (And when I meet your mom, I'll be sure not to get on her bad side, less she step on MY neck!)

:-)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/02/2005 11:03 AM  

Unfortunately, there's a lot of doctors out there who may be very skilled in their profession, but they never got around to understanding the whole "bedside manner" thing. Incredible when you think about it - these very people to whom you trust your life can be so disconnected with basic human emotion. I wouldn't take it personally, but I sure would feel free to let 'em have it so that they *KNOW* they're not acting the way they need to be or are expected to be by the very people to whom, unfortunately, THEY owe their livelihood. I've had experiences with doctors who had amazing bedside manners and others whose lack thereof was simply inexcusable. This isn't intended to be an assault against all doctors; I just wish some of them would think about how they might feel if they or one of their family members or close friends were the patient...wishful thinking, I guess.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/02/2005 12:45 PM  

Lisa B, I love your outlook. Fortunately or unfortunately I have had too much experience with doctors. Both my Mother and Father (Jen's grandparents/maternal side) died with cancer. I learned very, very early in the game that you absolutely HAVE TO BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE. I am very, very glad Jennifer is being treated in one of the very best Cancer centers in the country. However, a doctor is only as good as his support system, and Jen's doctor (in absentia) has a serious support problem. Only if we make these things known can things improve for the next patient. It's definitely not my intention to disrupt one's career, however, being a doctor has alot more to it than the medicine, if the human side is missing, a patient has a pretty difficult time just hoping this doctor will take the very best care of him/her. It's sad, but true. Ask those questions and make sure someone is always with you to write it down and document it. An unfortunate but necessary part of life today.

Thank you all so much for supporting "my Jen". I have not met you all, but wish I could hug each and every one of you!!! It's because of your love and support that Jen has the strength and courage to move to the next day. When she sits in the chair with her charm bracelet on, she knows that your prayers and support are with you. Thank you is not enough, I love you all:)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/04/2005 5:51 PM  

[...] Jenny's Belly is having to meet with a substitute oncologist since her regualr one is out of town on vacation. Her post Paging Doctor Jerk shows you just how it feels to get a doctor you don't really like. [...]

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/07/2005 12:57 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home