jenny's belly

Monday, November 07, 2005

Delayed a Week

So that familiar feeling of "falling between the cracks" is back again. This time with the American Cancer Society. The woman I'd spoken to a few weeks ago to just called me this evening, "I'm sorry, I think my grandson threw away your information."

What happened to computers, are they writing on sticky notes? What the heck! Also, if the kid threw it away, how did she find my name and phone number? Hmmm. She even remembered I was supposed to start chemo/radiation today. "And you sound really young." "I'm only 31." I plan to use "only" before my age from now on. I'm only 72, for example. :)

So the point of contacting the ACS is that they're the only place I could find that would help with transportation to the hospital. Since I have to go in five days a week for 5 weeks I'm looking for all the help I can get!

---BUT---

My blood counts are too low and so I'm delayed another week. I hadn't realized how tense I was until I started breathing again once my doctor (back from vacation!!) told me. I woke up this morning ready to face it all but was very excited I didn't have to start. C'mon low blood, c'mon low blood... But then my blood pressure was unusually low too. So I was dehydraded again. I received the equivalent of a 2-liter bottle of soda and still didn't have to use the ladies room. That kind of tells you something. And I got a flu shot which I'm happy about. This is not the year to "wing it."

6 comment(s):

So, you were granted a one-week reprieve?! Maybe you will feel better during your "week off" and will be able to enjoy it. The extra week should boost you back up, too; you'll be stronger for the next phase of battle against the evil cancer cells.

Have a good day today, as part of your month-long (or year-long) birthday celebration! I love the idea of adding "only" in front of your age by the way. You are young! Good thoughts today, Jen. Hugs, Kelly B.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/08/2005 6:27 AM  

Bummer about the ACS lady. Not much "help" at all. Maybe El is connected there as well!

I know it was a double edged sword as to having it delayed or not. On the one hand, it means one more week of this hanging over your head and worrying what it will be like. On the positive side, you have all sorts of visitors arriving this weekend and at least you'll be feeling better for that. Have fun with everyone!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/08/2005 8:27 AM  

Jen: It was really nice to talk to you Sunday, and hear your voice. Sorry that your chemo got delayed, but you gotta listen to the doctors. It would probably be a lot worse if you didn't wait.

I like the "only" prior to your age... when I went to one of my baby doctor's visits recently, I looked at the paper and almost choked when I read if you reach age 34 while pregnant, you are considered to have reached "advanced maternal age" (I just turned 33 in September - I'm not old!). I think I'll start using the "only 33"... :o)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/08/2005 8:49 AM  

Thanks for the tip Jen. I, too, am going to start using 'only' before my age, because unlike Lisa B, I really AM of advanced maternal age during this pregnancy!!

Speaking of pregnancy, I want to let everyone in this forum know how generous you have been to others while attending to your own needs.

As you all know, a charm bracelet has been started for Jen, and many of us have sent her beautiful charms to dangle from her arm. When Jen found out I was pregnant, she sent me a full charm bracelet, with SEVEN beautiful baby-related charms. Talk about a generous spirit!

This bracelet is one of the most precious gifts I have ever received and I will never forget Jen's kindness. No tears today, just my ongoing positive thoughts for Jen. Lots of love. :-)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/08/2005 9:23 AM  

Jen - if you need transportation to the hospital, maybe I can help you out on one or two days. It's not much to offer, I know, but I want to do what I can... Just call me at 671-563-7135 to arrange things. Thanks! -Weiyen

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/08/2005 11:55 AM  

Jen,
Please let me know if you need any rides. I'm ready and willing to help. You are welcome to camp out at our house, too, if needed. We are only 15 minutes away.
See you Saturday and we won't bring any germs! Maybe we should all wear masks instead of you!
Love,
Jeanne

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/10/2005 8:53 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home