jenny's belly

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Happy E.R. To You!

My birthday yesterday was partly celebrated back in the type of place I was born-- a hospital. I noticed my port-a-cath incision site was looking kind of a yucky green and the oncologist on-call told me I had to go to Brigham's Emergency Room. I even told him it was my birthday to see if he'd say "Oh, well in that case..."

Then I had another idea: "Can I go to a local hospital?"
"Well, they won't know how to deal with the port-a-cath."
"Okay, I thought I'd ask."
I knew he'd say it but had to try.

I had a little mini-breakdown that I wasn't going to be able to go have tea on the cape as I'd planned to do, but rather I was going to have to go back into the city (a lovely hour-plus drive each way) to the &$*#ing hospital. The ER no less.

As soon as I told the ER nurse I have low blood counts they made me wear a mask. Damn those things are hot! In the end everything is okay, and there is no infection. I just can't figure out why the incision site from an operation in *September* is still not healed. My stomach healed without a problem and this port-a-cath thing has been a complete bitch.

I took a nap when we got back home and then went to Outback with my parents, grandfather, Aunt Karen, Aunt El and Cousin Kath. It was lots of fun even if I didn't eat much of anything. Just being there was great! (FYI their clam chowder is terrible.)

I'm supposed to start radiation and chemotherapy tomorrow. I have blood taken at 8am to see if it's possible. I'm wondering how my blood could have improved since wednesday, the last time blood was taken, but who knows. I'm not nervous about radiation and I think chemo will be better this time than last. It's still a bitch to sleep though- I've been looking at adjustable beds online this morning. I'm sad though, I love my matress! I especially love my bed frame, which I wouldn't be able to use anymore. I've always slept in canopy beds. Anyway, it's depressing. But I guess waking up without feeling like someone is strangling me would be kind of nice...

6 comment(s):

Sorry I missed your birthday! Happy Birthday!! I'm going to email you a question or two that I am just too shy to ask on here.

I hope this week is better for you - I'll use you as my inspiration to get through the blood glucose thing I have to do this week. ((I am PETRIFIED of needles)).

Maybe there is a way to rig a canopy over the adjustable bed? I know it wouldn't be exactly the same, but maybe it would help!

One last note, the Outback does have icky clam chowder! They do have AWESOME strawberry daquaries (how do you spell that?) though!

By Blogger Lynna Kay, at 11/06/2005 12:24 PM  

Happy Birthday, Jenny! I'm glad you were able to have a great night out. You are right, those catheters are a bitch. Mine was always all infected in the beginning. After awhile, my body got used it and it became "normal." I couldn't wait to get rid of it, but I was glad I had it for chemo. It really makes it easier in the long run. I also suggest you consider a "birth month" series of celebrations. birth "days" are for sissies. Celebrate and go have tea!

By Blogger Unknown, at 11/06/2005 2:24 PM  

Why not have a birth year whilst you are about it? You certainly deserve it....

Minerva

By Blogger Minerva, at 11/06/2005 2:43 PM  

I agree with Jeannette - celebrate for the full month. Everytime you go somewhere, tell everyone there that 'today' is your birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! And don't worry - that tea on the Cape will still be there when you get there!!! Good luck with the radiation this week.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/06/2005 4:44 PM  

I am so sorry that your birthday started off so lousy but I am glad that you got to go out. I second the idea of hanging a canopy over the bed. There are some cool canopies out there that do hang from the ceiling. I also third the idea of a birthday month or year. Celebrate as much as you can! Hope today is a better day! Love, Kelly B.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/07/2005 4:23 PM  

[...] Jenny at Jenny's Belly (and also a past host of Real Cancer, Real Lives) writes about the gift cancer gave her for her birthday: a trip the ER. [...]

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/14/2005 11:39 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home