jenny's belly

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Tired Blood

I learned today I have low white blood cell counts, which I can add to my already low red blood cell counts. I didn't realize that unlike with red cells you can't do anything to raise your white cell count.

The oncologist told me in "old days" I'd have to wear a mask around and pretty much sit at home. But I guess I just have to become obsessive about washing my hands and stay away from crowds. No hand shaking, no licking street signs, that kind of thing. He said if I was scheduled for chemo today they wouldn't have been able to give it to me. That was a bit disturbing.

Today was a much better day than yesterday. MUCH better. I'm amazed that I still learn things each day. For example, I learned last night that taking one of my medications before I go to bed makes it less likely that I'll wake up ill in the middle of the night. Well, it worked for one night anyway. :) And I learned that waffle fries are just as bad as regular shoe string fries. I know it sounds stupid that I should try that, but home fries are okay and potatoes are okay. I guess anything pan-fried is okay but deep fried is NOT. Lesson learned. :)

3 comment(s):

Hi Jenny. It sounds like Neulasta or Neupogen must not react well with your chemo. While I hated giving myself the shots, I found Neulasta to be a life saver. I was low, but never too low for chemo. Maybe you could ask him about it. Here's a link about it: http://www.neulasta.com/patient/index.jsp

Hope you are feeling better. You are such a trooper! Even with the poor-attitude-replacement-onc! It isn't like a restaurant where poor service is reflected in the tip. Hang in there. You are doing great with everything.

By Blogger Unknown, at 11/02/2005 11:06 PM  

They're hestitating to give me neulasta because it boosts cell growth, both good and bad cells. Great! If I'm delayed a week and the following week I'm *still* too low then they're going to give it to me.

I didn't know I'd have to give myself shots though. ARRRGGHHHHH!!!!

By Blogger Jen, at 11/04/2005 2:06 AM  

Just a word...Lori's been on Neupogen for over a year, and has had zero tumor growth :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/04/2005 5:16 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home