jenny's belly

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Thinking Ahead

I'm starting to think about things I'll do in the future, which is a nice change. I've been thinking about tea a lot, the etiquette of afternoon tea, that sort of thing. I've always thought I should have been born at the turn of the century. White gloves and titles. Horse carriages and high-collared gowns. I've been meaning to ask my parents why I was never given a grand ball in my honor. And just exactly when am I to be married off to a Duke? So I know I'm feeling in good spirits when this kind of thing is occupying my mind.

I want to get back to the research I was doing on victorian era etiquette, but I really haven't the energy. Just the will. And you wouldn't BELIEVE what a weakling I've become. I can't believe it myself. I used to think of myself as the sort of person who could rescue a child who became trapped under a car. I'd just lift the car over my head, and... I have to pass bottles off to my mom to open them. I'm not quite at the frail stage yet, but I'm guessing by the time my chemo is over I'll be able to just barely lift a mug to my lips.

And getting back to the pumpkin cream cheese roll I mentioned at thanksgiving, below is the recipe... I tried a tiny bit but really can't say if it was good or not. The frosting was yummy. Everything tastes metallic to me, like I'm sucking on metal lifesavers. Now is not a good time for a cooking club meeting. :)
Prep: 45 min - Cook: 15 min - Cool: 60 min

CAKE:
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2/3 cup 100% Pure Pumpkin
  • 1 cup walnuts (optional), chopped
FILLING:
  • 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
  • 6 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar (optional)
FOR CAKE:
PREHEAT oven to 375°F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax paper. Grease and flour paper. Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar.

COMBINE flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in small bowl. Beat eggs and sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with nuts.

BAKE for 13 to 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together. Cool on wire rack.

FOR FILLING:
BEAT cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth. Carefully unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.

Makes 10 servings

Note: Be sure to put enough powdered sugar on the towel when rolling up the cake so it will not stick.

7 comment(s):

I just rolled out of bed, but that cream cheese roll sounds delicious! Breakfast food? Possibly :-)
I love it when you post. It usually means there is a glimmer of a good day. And the countdown is rolling down. Thankfully!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/14/2005 5:51 AM  

I think you need a warm weather vacation (so do I!!) Any chance you can get down to Florida to visit friends/family in January? I spoke to an aunt in Clearwater (next to Tampa) last night and she had the air conditioning on in her car yesterday...hate her, hate her... :-) Some warmth and sunshine would do you good and I agree with Kelli - I am always happy when I see another post from you! Enjoy the day and stay indoors - TOO COLD OUTSIDE!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/14/2005 9:32 AM  

Lisa, I love it! Grumpy Uncle Simon!! :-)

And speaking of high tea, Jen if you are up to it, you and Lisa should try the high tea at either the Four Seasons (yes, I am poor but I am a luxury junkie!!) or the Boston Harbour Hotel. I've had tea at both and it is awesome! I've heard tea at the Ritz Carlton is pretty nice as well. Don't forget to wear the tiara, so the hotel staff will know that you are royalty...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/14/2005 10:57 AM  

Hi Jen! I was so glad to see your post tonight (so I'm a little behind. . .) It's always nice to read your news and get the update but even nicer to hear when you are having a good day! Now, would you be Duchess Jen? I may prefer Lady Jen; perhaps you could find a nice, young, available knight if no duke shows up. . . just a thought.

I must agree with everyone; you need a nice warm vacation. I have also heard that tea in one of the nice Boston hotels is pretty great. My sister-in-law used to go all the time when they lived in the area. She, too, LOVES her tea!

Hope you are staying warm as your countdown winds down. Thinking of you and so glad that we have gotten back in touch! Love, Kelly B.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/15/2005 11:15 PM  

I understand this assvice, but still.. Celiac disease is serious. I know one doctor dismissed it, but please look into it again so you can beat this and remain healthy. This is not meant as assvice, I promise. I started reading your blog and was amazed by the doctor's response. He is not the voice of reason, he's the voice of negligence. I hope everything works out for you and you have a lifelong remission.

http://www.medicinenet.com/celiac_disease/page11.htm

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/16/2005 5:14 PM  

Hi Jen!
I think it's a wonderful idea for you to come South for a warm vacation!! Although, right this minute, it is raining heavily and about 58 degrees!
Lisa arrived safely from Seattle this afternoon and is now taking a nap, since she took the redeye. We are also waiting for her luggage--which is still in Detroit. :-)
I think tea sounds like a wonderful idea!!

Jeanne

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/17/2005 5:58 PM  

RE the Celiac disease-- it's something I'm definitely going to look into when cancer hell is all cleared up. The doctor was basically giving me permission to eat what I need to in order to keep my body going. If I had been avoiding wheat this whole time I'd be hospitalized, no joke. I've lived on saltines. But I sincerely appreciate the concern.

And I would love to be planning a warm weather vacation. If only my paycheck could allow it! Disability is not a pretty thing. It's like being back on unemployment (great!). I'll just have to be satisfied knowing everything will be over in March and the flowers will start coming out. :)

By Blogger Jen, at 12/18/2005 7:54 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home